Mkae Clothes Error

If you have problems understanding something or getting started, ask here

Moderator: joepal

Mkae Clothes Error

Postby TCarp » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:50 am

Today I spent time in MakeClothes in blender for the first time. I created a clothing asset which was added to my clothing asset folder with what I think is all the necessary components, (Diffuse PNG, MHCLO file, MHMAT file, MHPXY File, and
the .obj). I tried putting my clothing asset onto a person and got an error mesage. i don't know how to copy and paste the error message so I quickly grabbed a screenshot (shown below)
It seems to be a python error based on the error messages references. My first solution was to uninstall MH and reinstall it and all the plugins I use for it. That didn't work and I still get the same error message. Other community created (not by myself) assets still work fine. I used blender 2.79 and installed the MakeClothes plugin for blender earlier today. I use MH 1.1.1 becuase it does what i require it to do and is the stable release. I followed this tutorial for MakeClothes (Link to YouTube Video follows) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-nqE4ZrRY&t=764s. I did accidentally "make all paths absolute" twice as I messed up that part of the tutorial the first time, let me know if this could be the issue. I think because this was my first attempt, other clothing assets work, and that reinstalling all the python scripts didn't solve the problem this is either a user or compatibility error. Also I would like to copy and paste the MH error message here if someone could explain how to do that.
TCarp

Re: Mkae Clothes Error

Postby loki1950 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:11 am

Welcome to the forum the screen shot is actually useless ;) the text of the err message is clipped you can find the full log file in your makehuman/v1 folder if you are using version 1.1 and find the error there that log file is overwritten every time you run MH so you might just have to break it again if you have done any thing with MH since.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby TCarp » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:39 am

Thanks loki1950 I found the, 'python_err" text document.
Here is the dialog from the bottom from when I tired to add the clothing asset.
Code: Select all
compiled file missing: C:/Users/Troy Carpenter/Documents/makehuman/v1/data/clothes/neptunecultmattire/neptunecultmattire.npz
Problem loading binary mesh: ('compiled file missing: %s', u'C:/Users/Troy Carpenter/Documents/makehuman/v1/data/clothes/neptunecultmattire/neptunecultmattire.npz')
Loading ASCII mesh C:/Users/Troy Carpenter/Documents/makehuman/v1/data/clothes/neptunecultmattire/neptunecultmattire.obj.
Failed to index faces of mesh neptunecultmattire.obj, you are probably loading a mesh with mixed nb of verts per face (do not mix tris and quads). Or your mesh has too many faces attached to one vertex (the maximum is 5-poles). In the second case, either increase MAX_FACES for this mesh, or improve the mesh topology. Original error message: (<type 'exceptions.ValueError'>) could not broadcast input array from shape (6) into shape (5)
Unable to load obj file: C:/Users/Troy Carpenter/Documents/makehuman/v1/data/clothes/neptunecultmattire/neptunecultmattire.obj
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "core\files3d.py", line 206, in loadMesh
  File "core\files3d.py", line 165, in loadTextMesh
  File "shared\wavefront.py", line 148, in loadObjFile
  File "core\module3d.py", line 642, in setFaces
  File "core\module3d.py", line 712, in _update_faces
RuntimeError: Incompatible mesh topology.
Failed to load C:/Users/Troy Carpenter/Documents/makehuman/v1/data/clothes/neptunecultmattire/neptunecultmattire.obj
Exception during event onFileSelected
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "core\events3d.py", line 211, in callEvent
  File "apps\gui\proxychooser.py", line 163, in onFileSelected
  File "apps\gui\proxychooser.py", line 240, in proxyFileSelected
  File "core\mhmain.py", line 858, in do
  File "apps\gui\proxychooser.py", line 77, in do
  File "apps\gui\proxychooser.py", line 308, in selectProxy
  File "shared\proxy.py", line 166, in loadMeshAndObject
AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'priority'

From what I understand from this I seem to have broken some limits in my mesh's topology. How do I solve this problem?
TCarp

Postby RobBaer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:20 am

TCarp wrote: you are probably loading a mesh with mixed nb of verts per face (do not mix tris and quads).

Or your mesh has too many faces attached to one vertex (the maximum is 5-poles). In the second case, either increase MAX_FACES for this mesh, or improve the mesh topology.

From what I understand from this I seem to have broken some limits in my mesh's topology. How do I solve this problem?

I think you are using code that punkduck has recently reworked, but I left the parts of the message that stand out to me. So,
Do you have only tri faces or only quad faces on your clothes?
Do you have any vertices that connect more than 5 edges? [If so, set max faces to that number]
Do you have vertices / edges that don't belong to a proper face?

'
RobBaer

Postby punkduck » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:05 am

TCarp wrote: you are probably loading a mesh with mixed nb of verts per face (do not mix tris and quads).

Or your mesh has too many faces attached to one vertex (the maximum is 5-poles). In the second case, either increase MAX_FACES for this mesh, or improve the mesh topology.

Only my friend Elvaerwyn did the triangle based clothes, in case of triangle based meshes I am 100% sure the message will happen.

But I got the same message sometimes, when I created clothes with quads only!

Since this was a calculation error in MakeClothes, I did not check the reason of the problem until today.

When I got this problem I did the same like it must be done for the triangle based meshes. Open file <yourpath>/v1/data/clothes/neptunecultmattire/neptunecultmattire.mhclo (it is an ASCII text file) with a text editor. Then change the line with max_pole 5 to max_pole 6 and it should work. If you have done a triangle based mesh, double the value at least.

@RobBaer: Maybe I am able to figure out what geometry we need to get this problem. I had some double layered clothes like the Bandeau Bra where I am sure that I got the same problem as far as I can remember. Maybe I can simplify the geometry to figure out the reason. Same like upload a cube in MakeHuman, then press smoothing ...
punkduck

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:57 am

The calculation error (or better max pole limitation) in MC should have been fixed about two years ago. Please give feedback if it still does not work!
Aranuvir

Postby punkduck » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:32 pm

Aranuvir wrote:The calculation error (or better max pole limitation) in MC should have been fixed about two years ago. Please give feedback if it still does not work!

No and yes. Makeclothes is okay ... but it is something different. I found the problem. There IS an essential error in MakeHuman, which can be reduced to one sentence:

"max-poles is not the number of neighbouring planes"

I created a basic minimal mesh. This part is also used when I create clothes like lingerie with some small transparent borders (embroidery) etc.

maxpoles-vs-neighbours.jpg

When you consider the picture Makehuman will have problems. The reason is simple:

Max-Poles is used to create the maximum number of neighbouring planes for a mesh. This number is used in a 2-dim array for the size of 2nd dimension.

Result is: second index becomes to high and makehuman creates an error. In the example max-poles is 5 but you have 6 neighbouring planes. You can create an example with maxpoles = 6, but max-neighbours = 8 also, when you add 2 further planes on the other side ...

Btw.: I used this pattern in the picture very often (jeans for the pockets, frill bikini etc.), mostly I had higher pole numbers somewhere else in my mesh, so the error did not occur. But at least for 10 times I changed it manually. My new version (for triangles) is not capable to do it. But I will change the algorithm in the next days ...
punkduck

Postby TCarp » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Thanks, increasing the max poles to six allowed the article of clothing to import. I seem to have a new problem. Part of the attire is a cape. Viewing from the front some of the faces appear opaque and others transparent. Viewing from the back the faces are opposite (the opaque ones are transparent and the transparent ones are opaque). I think this is a normals issue. How do I resolve this?
TCarp

Postby punkduck » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:22 pm

Hi

So the next version will correctly calculate the number of neighbors (total different way now) ... this was my task for Monday and Tuesday :)

Since especially with my clothes I often had the same problem and just to show that I was not lazy:

https://github.com/makehumancommunity/makehuman/compare/wrong-maxpoles

:lol:

Your question: The effect you see is called backface-culling ...

Faces are only shown when the normals are pointing to the viewer. To change this use:

Utilities/Material Editor

select your piece of cloth and and switch backface culling of. When creating materials you can change a lot of parameters in this editor. Especially glossiness should be changed here or you can add a normalmap and make it visible using e.g. at litsphere. What ever you do here: don't forget to save the material in the end (=> it will change the .mhmat file).
punkduck

Return to Newbies