Please don't upload skins ripped from 3d.sk

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Please don't upload skins ripped from 3d.sk

Postby joepal » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:22 pm

It should probably go without saying, but it's only allowed to upload skins you have made, own or are otherwise allowed to share. Uploading skins you do not have permission to share is not allowed.

Examples that have been brought to my attention are a few skins which have seemingly been taken from 3d.sk, modified for makehuman and then posted in the asset repositories here. Some of the skins even have their original name.

This is a breach of 3d.sk's license terms. Not even if you have bought a commercial license are you allowed to redistribute the skin textures found at 3d.sk.

I'm not going to point any fingers, but I'm giving all skin authors a few days to consider whether they should remove skins that fit with the above description. Then I will silently unpublish what remains.

I realize this might annoy some people, since at least one of the skins is a popular item of high quality. But this has to be balanced against the risk that the site might end up in legal trouble, which would in the end land on me personally.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Please don't upload skins ripped from 3d.sk

Postby joepal » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:16 am

I have now removed four skins which were seemingly remapped from photos from 3d.sk (the author even hinted at this in the skin descriptions). The asset DB has been resynced so that they won't show up in the lists on new syncs. However, if you try to download it before resyncing, you'll get an error.

I'm keeping a backup of the skins for a few days and can restore the items if someone can make a case for why the assets were in fact legal.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Please don't upload skins ripped from 3d.sk

Postby jimlsmith9999 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:07 am

joepal wrote:It should probably go without saying, but it's only allowed to upload skins you have made, own or are otherwise allowed to share. Uploading skins you do not have permission to share is not allowed.

Examples that have been brought to my attention are a few skins which have seemingly been taken from 3d.sk, modified for makehuman and then posted in the asset repositories here. Some of the skins even have their original name.

This is a breach of 3d.sk's license terms. Not even if you have bought a commercial license are you allowed to redistribute the skin textures found at 3d.sk.

I'm not going to point any fingers, but I'm giving all skin authors a few days to consider whether they should remove skins that fit with the above description. Then I will silently unpublish what remains.

I realize this might annoy some people, since at least one of the skins is a popular item of high quality. But this has to be balanced against the risk that the site might end up in legal trouble, which would in the end land on me personally.

I have just spent a week negotiating the rights for me to upload 3d.sk ripped skins. If you need it, I can send you a copy of the email chain via email. Im lousy with using forums and have no idea how to get it to you any other way. If it is going to cause you problems to allow me to do this, please drop me a note (via email). If you answer here, no telling how long it will take me to figure out how to read it and answer back.
jimlsmith9999

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader