unable to instal on windows 10

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Re: unable to instal on windows 10

Postby RobBaer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:49 pm

I know you might not want to hear this if you are on a slow internet connection, but I think your best bet is to delete the version of MakeHuman you have and download again. Aranuvir is right that the log does not look like a normal sequence of a "crashed program".

I am reasonably confident that it was not the fact that you were looking at the license file, but it seems something "bad happened" that is most likely to be fastest to repair by a new download. Delete all the old stuff first so there is not confusion about what is old and what is new. Then you can install in the very same directory.

One other thing I note. The log refers to "D:/Programme/makehuman-1.1.1-win32/data/litspheres/skinmat_eye.png" This tells me you did not install MakeHuman on the normal "system disk". Is you D:/ drive mapped to a location that is available to the program? Is it a local drive or a network drive? If it is a USB drive, is it conceivable that it got mapped to a different drive letter than it had previously when you created a shortcut? It seems that you are doing something unusual that you haven't shared with us based on this line and the IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'C:/Users/.../Documents/makehuman/v1/cache/eyelashes_filecache.mhc' .

So there is no confusion, you certainly can run MakeHuman from a non-system drive. I do it all the time. I'm asking only so I can have a reasonable context for thinking of things that could have happened to you that I wouldn't have factored in if you were vanilla standard.
RobBaer

Postby gakusei_namuhekam » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:31 pm

RobBaer wrote:I know you might not want to hear this if you are on a slow internet connection, but I think your best bet is to delete the version of MakeHuman you have and download again. Aranuvir is right that the log does not look like a normal sequence of a "crashed program".

I am reasonably confident that it was not the fact that you were looking at the license file, but it seems something "bad happened" that is most likely to be fastest to repair by a new download. Delete all the old stuff first so there is not confusion about what is old and what is new. Then you can install in the very same directory.

One other thing I note. The log refers to "D:/Programme/makehuman-1.1.1-win32/data/litspheres/skinmat_eye.png" This tells me you did not install MakeHuman on the normal "system disk". Is you D:/ drive mapped to a location that is available to the program? Is it a local drive or a network drive? If it is a USB drive, is it conceivable that it got mapped to a different drive letter than it had previously when you created a shortcut? It seems that you are doing something unusual that you haven't shared with us based on this line and the IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'C:/Users/.../Documents/makehuman/v1/cache/eyelashes_filecache.mhc' .

So there is no confusion, you certainly can run MakeHuman from a non-system drive. I do it all the time. I'm asking only so I can have a reasonable context for thinking of things that could have happened to you that I wouldn't have factored in if you were vanilla standard.

Thank you, ...
Deleting the folder, has solved the problem.
C:\Users\...\Documents\makehuman

that's why it did not work, with the new installation.
gakusei_namuhekam

Postby fx10fn » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Hello, is this thread still valid? Looks like it was a topic more than 1 year ago, but I got same problem these days and still couldn't get it through by all means.

I'm running Windows 10 pro, I couldn't launch makehuman.exe (v1.1.1), everytime it lauches, I got "Fatal Error! Fail to execute script __init__".
What I've tried already:
1. Re-downloaded the lateast version --makehuman-1.1.1-win32.zip (by firefox) from this site multiple time to see if downloads are good, I assume ok
2. Tried both 7-zip and WinZip Universal (program provided by win10 by default) to extract the contents
3. Tried different locations (as root folder) to extract to, like:
D:/MakeHuman
C:/Program Files (x86)/MakeHuman
C:/Program Files/MakeHuman
4. Before launching, cleared previous Documents/makehuman (including v1 folder) which is to be created again by launching.
5. Re-installed python, now I'm using python 3.7.1
6. Updated the the root folder perssion (e.g. D:/MakeHuman), that is the folder's properties/security tab, giving Full Control to all users and applying this to all subfolder and subfiles
But none of those things work for me, I'm still getting "Fatal Error! Fail to execute script __init__". And I'm not able see any log file, the Documents/makehuman/v1/python_out.txt is always empty (0 KB) while nothing in the 'data' folder either. No other files look like a log file.

By the way, I was using this program (v1.1.1) before, long time ago (probably 1 year ago, can't remember clearly) and it was working fine at that time. The only difference I can come up with is I was running Win10 Family version, I just upgraded to Win10 pro this year.

Could anyone suggest and help? What else I can try?
Thanks and appreciate any help in advance.
Last edited by fx10fn on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fx10fn

Postby joepal » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:22 pm

There shouldn't really be any issues with running on windows 10 per se. Something else must be wrong, such as an antivirus program wrongly putting python files in quarantine.

What you could do is try the upcoming version instead, it comes with a proper installer. Download a file called makehuman-community-*-win32.zip from http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman/nightly/, unzip, and run the exe installer.

With some luck you should at least get a better error message.

Note that after using the installer above, MH should be started from the start menu, rather than by manually navigating to the installation folder and clicking things there.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby fx10fn » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:52 pm

joepal wrote:There shouldn't really be any issues with running on windows 10 per se. Something else must be wrong, such as an antivirus program wrongly putting python files in quarantine.

What you could do is try the upcoming version instead, it comes with a proper installer. Download a file called makehuman-community-*-win32.zip from http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman/nightly/, unzip, and run the exe installer.

With some luck you should at least get a better error message.

Note that after using the installer above, MH should be started from the start menu, rather than by manually navigating to the installation folder and clicking things there.

Ah! Thank you, that community 1.2.0a1 version simply works for me like a charm! It launches well now though I've not yet tried more operations.
But really cool to get it opened and worked again. Thank you.
fx10fn

Postby joepal » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:56 pm

fx10fn wrote:Ah! Thank you, that community 1.2.0a1 version simply works for me like a charm! It launches well now though I've not yet tried more operations.
But really cool to get it opened and worked again. Thank you.

Note that this is a pre-release though, and some things might not be working properly. It is, for example, known that the FBX export has problems with the rig in this version.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Aranuvir » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:48 pm

Actually that FBX problem is a pending issue. The current version is working as well or bad as the old one did. (there are also problems with the scaling in FBX ...)
Aranuvir

Postby Valentin5 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:50 am

fx10fn wrote:Hello, is this thread still valid? Looks like it was a topic more than 1 year ago, but I got same problem these days and still couldn't get it through by all means.

I'm running Windows 10 pro, I couldn't launch makehuman.exe (v1.1.1), everytime it lauches, I got "Fatal Error! Fail to execute script __init__".
What I've tried already:
1. Re-downloaded the lateast version --makehuman-1.1.1-win32.zip (by firefox) from this site multiple time to see if downloads are good, I assume ok
2. Tried both 7-zip and WinZip Universal (program provided by win10 by default) to extract the contents
3. Tried different locations (as root folder) to extract to, like:
D:/MakeHuman
C:/Program Files (x86)/MakeHuman
C:/Program Files/MakeHuman
4. Before launching, cleared previous Documents/makehuman (including v1 folder) which is to be created again by launching.
5. Re-installed python, now I'm using python 3.7.1
6. Updated the the root folder perssion (e.g. D:/MakeHuman), that is the folder's properties/security tab, giving Full Control to all users and applying this to all subfolder and subfiles
But none of those things work for me, I'm still getting "Fatal Error! Fail to execute script __init__". And I'm not able see any log file, the Documents/makehuman/v1/python_out.txt is always empty (0 KB) while nothing in the 'data' folder either. No other files look like a log file.

By the way, I was using this program (v1.1.1) before, long time ago (probably 1 year ago, can't remember clearly) and it was working fine at that time. The only difference I can come up with is I was running Win10 Family version, I just upgraded to Win10 pro this year.

Could anyone suggest and help? What else I can try?
Thanks and appreciate any help in advance.

Hi everybody,

Is there a solution to the problem mentioned above ( "Fatal Error! Fail to execute script __init__".) ?
I tried the exact same process than "fx10fn" and I still get the error. I got not logs since the error seems to appear at the very start.
So I tried to install the same version (1.1.1) on my little Windows Surface... and it works. But still, I cannot work on this machine, I need to make it work on my professional desktop.
Moreover I cannot use the nightly build because the generated FBX makes my external software crash (Unity), and only the FBX generated by the 1.1.1 stable works correctly.

I got Windows 10 on both my machines. To be sure that it wasn't the antivirus that was blocking something during the install, I copied the main folder from my Surface to my desktop, and it still does not work.

Thanks for your help !
Valentin5

Postby Aranuvir » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:42 am

Hard to say what's going wrong. Please make sure you have unpacked the zip file correctly, i.e. preserved the folder structure, etc. For software running Python2 make sure that none of the absolute filepaths uses non-ASCII characters! It could be a Problem if you install MakeHuman as admin and then run it as normal user (though I haven't tested that case).

But, TBH: If you are so heavily dependent on fbx export, why don't you bring your models to Blender and export from there? The data exchange with Blender via MPFB or MHX2 is rather straight forward and you will probably get better results for your fbx exports.
Aranuvir

Previous

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests