Tips, trick's, and links about computer graphics world

Moderator: joepal

making fingers shorter in blender

Postby joihnsonlee » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:10 am

how to make fingers shorter in blender
joihnsonlee

Re: making fingers shorter in blender

Postby RobBaer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Since this is the MakeHuman forum, my first response is to say, "import them shorter to start with". This is done in MakeHuman by selecting modeling | Arms and Legs | Finger length. Be sure to choose the hand of interest on the right panel.

After it's in Blender, I have less idea, but I might try proportional editing with the local coordinate system set.
RobBaer

Postby MargaretToigo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:30 pm

In Blender it's a matter of editing, the ease or difficulty of which depends upon your skill level and artistic talent. Proportional editing, Loop Tools and Smooth Vertex are your best friends when it comes to such tasks. It's not rocket science, it's just something you have to practice.

But RobBaer has the better idea, which is to use the modeling sliders (and the symmetry tools, if you're into symmetrical humans) in MakeHuman to get the human into the form you want, and then do the fine tuning in Blender.
MargaretToigo

Postby blindsaypatten » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:21 pm

If you are forced to do it in Blender, and you have an armature with fingers, a simple way is to scale the finger bones while in armature mode. All the bones further down in the hierarchy from the scaled bone also get scaled so scaling the first bone segment in each finger will do it. I think sy to only scale the length. Scaling the wrist bone will scale the whole hand.

I don't know if this method has any side effects, I've only played around with it to scale things beyond what MakeHuman allows, but it's simpler than trying to edit the vertices.
blindsaypatten

Return to Off topic