Pattern drafting software, and some related thoughts.

Tips, trick's, and links about computer graphics world

Moderator: joepal

Pattern drafting software, and some related thoughts.

Postby alex_farlie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:27 am

Following some reorganisation , the "free" pattern drafting software known as Valentina has moved it's repositories to GitHub. https://github.com/valentina-project

The software is a digital tool, to allow for the drafting of sewing and textile patterns, based on measurements and formulae supplied by a user. It uses a "parametric based" technique consistent with a number of pattern-drafting techniques and systems used in fashion and clothing design.

I am mentioning it here, because there are people here that use Blender and other tools to make clothing/fashion models, and whilst it's not yet as far as I can tell possible to send or import a pattern file from Valentina directly into Blender, the use of it alongside other tools, in creating a "free" workflow may be of interest.

My other reason for mentioning the Valentina repositories here, is that it represented a potential way of capturing certain measurement data through the Tape application (with appropriable consents and ethical concerns noted) , that could be used to improve the modelling of certain items in more than just fashion/clothing patterns.

Valentina also supports 'custom' measurements over it's known ones (compiled in relation to clothing and garment patterns), which means that assuming someone put the effort in, base patterns for other items cut from a 'flat-sheet' pattern in textile like materials would be possible to draft in the software, (such as gloves, dance tights athletic supports, corsets and so on) There's even the possibility of using it for footwear design, assuming there are people familiar with how patterns for shoes can be built using parametric means. 8-).

I hope that tools like this are of interest to the MakeHuman community
alex_farlie

Re: Pattern drafting software, and some related thoughts.

Postby loki1950 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:30 pm

We have collaborated with the Valentina people several times in the past and we most like will do so in the future.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Return to Off topic