Can anyone help me make this character climb a ladder?

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Can anyone help me make this character climb a ladder?

Postby mafnadeda » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:18 pm

I have this IK rigged character that I'm trying to make walk up to a ladder, climb it and continue walking. I mostly used the NLA editor to make a simple stationary walk cycle, as well as a second track on top that moved the root bone along the Y axis. Then I posed his arms and legs on different rungs of the ladder and keyed them to different frames and made a decent enough animation of the climb, but now I want him to continue the walk cycle and can't because his root bone is stuck to the first floor. I've sort of been winging this and might be approaching the whole thing completely wrong. I was directed to the tutorial below and it doesn't make much sense to me because I can't move the root bone without moving the rest of the character with it- I'm also confused by the character in the video actually moving forward in space via its walk cycle; I thought a walk cycle was stationary and the actual movement was dependent upon moving the root bone on a separate strip?

Thanks a lot.
mafnadeda

Re: Can anyone help me make this character climb a ladder?

Postby tomcat » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:10 am

Depends on what you want it for. Is it for a movie or a game?

Usually in games, animation is done in one place and movement is realized by moving the character model.

You mentioned a tutorial and a video, but didn't provide a link.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Re: Can anyone help me make this character climb a ladder?

Postby kanelime » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:48 am

Typically, in video games, the character model is moved to represent movement, and the animation is done centrally.
io games
kanelime

Return to General discussions about makehuman