Patchwork skin

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Patchwork skin

Postby timkindberg » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:19 pm

Dear community,

I'm looking for a way to create a patchwork out of the 'skin' of a 3D model made with makehuman: a person whose skin is like a patchwork quilt. That is, the model will be partitioned into roughly rectangular patches so that I can cover it with images. There will be gaps where the curvature is too great (ears), and some 'rectangles' might have somewhat jagged edges, but that's OK.

I wondered whether anyone has already done something like this. I can write software, so algorithms would do if there isn't quite the tool I need. I'm imagining software that would create a patchwork that I can change by altering parameters e.g. rectangle size, and which I could hand-edit where necessary (e.g. dragging the boundary between two adjacent patches). The tool doesn't have to work in Makehuman - it could be in Blender after an export or in the web (three.js).

Any pointers would be much appreciated. I'm technically experienced but fresh to Makehuman and not very knowledgeable about computer graphics. In case you're wondering, this is for a digital art project and the images will be from videos.

Cheers,

Tim
timkindberg

Re: Patchwork skin

Postby loki1950 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:42 pm

Strictly speaking this is done in blender not MH ;) ie: texture painting mode as it is called.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Re: Patchwork skin

Postby timkindberg » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:09 pm

Thanks, I've seen that but as far as I can see it's a manual process. I'm looking for a mainly algorithmic determination of the collections of vertices/faces that make up a covering of rectangular patches. I'll be using that to apply textures in software. I realise that I probably won't be able to do what I need to do via Makehuman (unless via a plugin), but I though that maybe someone else in this community might have tried something similar - to apply tattoos?
timkindberg

Return to General discussions about makehuman