MakeWhatever.org

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

MakeWhatever.org

Postby pianodavy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:55 am

I've used this software for years and recommended it to everyone I know who can benefit from it. Has anybody ever considered expanding this idea to such organic forms as makeanimal or makedinosaur or makeinsect or any other life form besides humans? I would happily make quad dinosaurs for an application like that. :idea:
pianodavy

Re: MakeWhatever.org

Postby loki1950 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 am

We did have an April Fools Day with MakeCow but generalising makehuman for quadrupeds would most likely take an other ten years of both research and coding besides blender and other 3D apps do exist for just that purpose though you do have to learn to model ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby brkurt » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:23 pm

pianodavy wrote:I've used this software for years and recommended it to everyone I know who can benefit from it. Has anybody ever considered expanding this idea to such organic forms as makeanimal or makedinosaur or makeinsect or any other life form besides humans? I would happily make quad dinosaurs for an application like that. :idea:

This is a very good idea; what I would suggest is first focusing on therapod dinosaurs and their descendants. That would mean that your application could start with the earliest Triassic therapods (eoraptor), move through the Jurassic and Cretaceous, onto the Eocene (Terror Bird will be a favorite!) and end with modern birds. That's a big undertaking, but not impossible, given the code for Makehuman. You can probably get funding for something with a 'cool factor' like this. :D
brkurt

Postby pianodavy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:05 pm

I don't think modeling the creatures would be such a problem. Here is a dragon I'm working on - entirely quads... about 3 weeks so far in my spare time...
I hope this image works - it was from my facebook page.
pianodavy

Postby pianodavy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:24 pm

also my rooster - again, all quads modeled rather speedily - forgive me, he has no feathers yet...
pianodavy

Postby joepal » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:37 pm

The problem is modeling the creatures with exactly the same number of vertices in the exact same order. At least if building on MH's core approach. The targets in MH only moves vertex points around, they never add or remove vertices.

But as long as the basic shape is the same, shifting the details in MH's fashion should be entirely possible. For example "make four-legged creature" would be able to have the same base mesh for cat, cow, horse, pig and dog, but would probably not work with a duck.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby blindsaypatten » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:32 pm

I think MakeWhatever is most popularly known by the name Blender... :P
blindsaypatten

Postby titleknown » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:43 am

Funny thing actually, as I've been doing some experiments with making oddball body-types via custom targets.
Like, for example, a quadruped:

Or, as another example, a dog head:
ImageImage

Or werewolf legs along with a few other heads:

I'm more proud of some than of others, but I have been trying to push the program towards as much of that as possible. But there's one slight catch. Specifically, it won't save those sliders when I save them. Like, for example, here's the previous one after I saved it, closed it, and re-opened it:

It's mainly the dog, the more muscular quadruped and the werewolf legs that're having that problem, and I'd be willing to put them in the User Contributed Assets pile, but I do need some help getting them to save first. So, what the hell's going wrong? Are there any settings that I can change to fix it, or is it something inherent in the program/modeling?
titleknown

Postby blindsaypatten » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:27 pm

99% of the time this is because you have included spaces in the file/target name. Rename the files using a "-" instead of a space and it will work, and the - will be replaced with a space in the name under the slider. After renaming the file you can open the .mhm file in a text editor and replace the spaces with hyphens there too and you will be able to load the saved files rather than having to recreate them.

If that isn't the problem then check the logs under the Utilities tab for errors messages.
blindsaypatten

Postby titleknown » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Checked it and yep, that solved it! So, what do you think of my attempts at more inhuman body-types?

Also, I made a bird head, that looks weirdly vulture/condor-like thanks to the weirdness of Makehuman:

I will say that before I put the doggo Target up, I may have to fix the teeth, because it was early in the process of working on learning to make Targets when I did it, and thusly I kinda wanged 'em up.

Also, I'll say that if one were to do a MakeCreature program, I'd say the ideal ones to start with would be a Make Biped, for stuff like theropod dinosaurs, birds, kangaroos, ect, and then a MakeQuadruped for your various mammals/lizards/sauropods/ceroptsans/frogs/ect.

What I'd also adore to see is a MakeProgram for vehicles or mecha! That might actually be easier than one for other organisms come to think of it, given the machine-made nature of such and the natural angularity of machines relating to the strengths of CG.
titleknown

Next

Return to General discussions about makehuman