custom character haircut/style - help?

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

custom character haircut/style - help?

Postby EagleBZ » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:04 pm

I've created this female character for a movie I'm planning, tried using Make Human's hair presets but I'd like to modify the model's hair to make it look like this (see attachments) so how do I modify the model's hairsyle/hair cut?

If I cannot do it in make human, is it possible to export it/import it into blender so I could use my Wacom Bamoo capture tablet to modify the model's (well, I could try giving it long hair from MH's hair presets) hair, even cut it/style the model's hair in blender using my capture tablet to make the hair look like those pictures I've uploaded in my attachment?

thanks in advance.
Attachments
Short-bob-hairstyles-for-women-pictures.jpg
Short-Bob-Hairstyles-for-Women debbie.jpg
short-bob-hairstyles-2014.jpg
EagleBZ

Re: custom character haircut/style - help?

Postby brkurt » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:56 pm

You will need to use the long straight hair mesh, and then model it shorter in blender. Quite easy, but meticulous.
Are you comfortable creating your own UV maps to get the ends of the hair strands you will need (with increasingly transparent alpha values)?
You will also need to extrude bones for your wig and add them to the rig, if you wish to control the bangs.
brkurt

Postby duststorm » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:52 pm

Export your model to MHX (or FBX, OBJ or DAE if you don't care about particular rig support) and import it in Blender.
Then you can work on it as you like.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby SamA » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:06 pm

The simplest way, to avoid complex modelling, UV mapping and rigging, is to just delete the lower polygons of the long hair mesh. Cut to the length you want, this will retain UVs and rigging. It will look better if you adjust the map. To keep existing UVs, paint the edge alpha on the existing hair map at the cut-off point.
hair02.jpg

I probably could have spent more time on the alpha at the cut off, but you get the idea. You could shift the geom about a bit if you need to alter the styling further.
SamA

Postby duststorm » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Not bad at all, except perhaps that indeed the edges are a bit noticeable.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Manuel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:56 pm

SamA wrote:
hair02.jpg

Very nice rendering and character SamA!
I like the skin shader and the lighting.
Manuel

Postby SamA » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Thanks. I rendered in 3ds Max with mental ray. The skin is 'Tony Sculptor Simple Skin' shader by Tony Raynolds which I have been experimenting with. I like it but have had better results with Master Zap's 'SSS Fast Skin+' shader, but maybe I'm more familiar with that one. Worth a try for any mental ray users.

I already had the model with the hair cut, but hadn't got around to altering the map, so I did a quick mask paint in Photoshop as an example. There is still a visible edge, so needs a bit more work. I followed the edge loop to not get steps, which gives an asymmetric cut, but some girls have that. The alpha could solve that if needed.

I was going to upload the map, but it's too big.
SamA

Postby Manuel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:49 pm

SamA wrote:Thanks. I rendered in 3ds Max with mental ray.

Interesting.
for alpha9 we want to improve the support for max and other famous software.
Do you have any hints for us?
Manuel

Postby 3DNewb » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:57 pm

Hello, first off the newest version of Makehuman is off the charts! Congrats everyone, and as a 3D modeler in training, I can't thank you enough for this resource.

One question that pertains to this is that I would also like to create a library of female models with short hair, so I can easily drape shirts on it in cloth modelers like Marvelous Designer. I need to create over 100 models of different measurements, but with the same hair style.

I'm confident I could model the hair from scratch if need be in Mudbox. What I'm concerned about is trying to align it properly on 100 plus models. It would be great if I could somehow create the hair in Mudbox, then import it to Makehuman, and have it align correctly on each model as the current hair choices do.

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks!
3DNewb

Postby duststorm » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:08 pm

3DNewb wrote:It would be great if I could somehow create the hair in Mudbox, then import it to Makehuman, and have it align correctly on each model as the current hair choices do.

That's possible.
Model the hair in mudbox, export to OBJ. Import the OBJ in Blender, use MakeClothes to get your hair in MakeHuman (how to install).
There are some tutorials about this in the documentation on the website:
http://www.makehuman.org/doc/node/alpha ... _baby.html
http://www.makehuman.org/doc/node/makec ... ess.html_0

The process for hair is the same as for clothes.

This is how the hairstyles in the MH library are made.

In time Manuel will probably add new hairstyles himself, but he's currently working hard on rigs.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Next

Return to General discussions about makehuman