Why won't you start a fundraiser?

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Why won't you start a fundraiser?

Postby CutegirlsFan » Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:12 pm

Makehuman is a great free alternative to proprietary and expensive Reallusion Character Creator.
Instead of paying thousands of dollars for a chain of CC3/4 + Iclone + 3dEchange to greedy Reallusion - I think a lot of people would be more glad to donate a few hundreds or tens of dollars to Makehuman.

Makehuman is also a very lightweight compared to Metahuman which is not optimized for games and lacks clothing and customization options, making it not a good choice for a lot of developers.

So, what's the problem with going on Kickstarter to raise money to finish this software? To hire artists and create new high quality meshes, high quality shaders for skin, high quality hair and clothing. A lot of people would gladly help you financially.

Why are you so inactive?
CutegirlsFan

Re: Why won't you start a fundraiser?

Postby tomcat » Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:40 pm

CutegirlsFan wrote:So, what's the problem with going on Kickstarter to raise money to finish this software?

` 0. Kickstarter compromised itself a long time ago.
  1. It made sense (in the past) for new projects: to raise money to launch the work and present the first working product.
  2. MakeHuman already exists and is being used. Kickstarter won't bring in new revenue if current users are stubbornly unwilling to pay.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby joepal » Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:12 pm

https://www.patreon.com/makehuman

This covers the costs for server hosting, domain names, github LFS quota etc.

The problem isn't money. This is a volunteer project with no commercial end game. It builds on people being willing to spend time and effort on helping the project forward.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby amjrl » Sat Aug 17, 2024 12:33 pm

I’ve been using Makehuman for a while now and it’s been a game-changer for me. It’s way more budget-friendly compared to Reallusion’s stuff, which is nice if you’re not looking to spend a fortune. Metahuman’s cool, but it’s kinda heavy for game dev and doesn’t offer as much in terms of clothing and customization. A Kickstarter to boost Makehuman’s features sounds awesome—I'd definitely throw some cash at that to see it get even better.
amjrl

Return to General discussions about makehuman