Make Human for commercially use?

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

Make Human for commercially use?

Postby Melesh » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Hello,

sorry for my bad English and sorry if this Question was already answered somewhere. I can´t understand most of this posts here, so I ask just again.
With a few friends, i am making a game and we want to use Make Human to create the characters. But we don´t know, if we can use this programm commercially, or we have to buy a license. Would be great if someone can help me.

Thanks
Melesh

Re: Make Human for commercially use?

Postby duststorm » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:16 pm

If you use MH as a pipeline to create your art assets, then there is no problem at all.
What you create with MH is licensed CC0, so you can use it anywhere you want (starting from version Alpha 7). And of course you can re-license the art that comes with your game to protect it.
You don't have to credit us, but it would be cool if you would make a reference to makehuman in your game credits. ;)

The MH code and internal data is under an open source license, so if you want to integrate MH in your game, for example as an in-game character creator, then you have to release the source code of your game as well.

And if you use MakeHuman to create something great, we would love it if you post the result here, as we are always interested in what MH is used for (plus it will get you some free advertising :D ).
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Melesh » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Wow, thank you, that sounds great. Using MH to make a Character Creator sounds so mutch nice, I have to tell my friends about that. :D
How do you mean I have to release the source code? For you? For all?
And will the programm cost something, after finishing the Alpha Version?
Melesh

Postby duststorm » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:00 pm

Melesh wrote:How do you mean I have to release the source code? For you? For all?

For all, publicly. In the same way the MH code is distributed. That makes it hard to use for a commercial game..
It would have to be an open source game, like OpenMorrowind or Stunt Rally for example.

Melesh wrote:And will the programm cost something, after finishing the Alpha Version?

MH will always be free and open source. If you want to integrate our code into a closed source commercial product you will have to buy another license, however. (something we have not worked out yet)
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Manuel » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:02 pm

If you use only the generated models, you are free to use them as you want and using any license you like.

If you use the makehuman code too, for example for a character creator, things are different. The code is protected by the AGPL license, so you are obliged to release your game under the same license, opensource for all.

MakeHuman software will be free forever.
Manuel

Postby Melesh » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:17 pm

I asked my friends and we decided, that there will be no character creator, cause the story doesn´t allow this. But I have one last Question. There are many different clothes in MH and if I for example move the weight option for the character, the clothes turn their weights too. A long time I tried to make a script like this, but I don´t get it. Is there any way, to import new clothes into MH ore use this script in Blender or something else? Would be great.
Melesh

Postby duststorm » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Melesh wrote:Is there any way, to import new clothes into MH ore use this script in Blender or something else?

Yes there is the MakeClothes script for blender. You can read about it in the documentation here:
http://www.makehuman.org/doc/node/get_a ... ender.html
http://www.makehuman.org/doc/node/the_m ... panel.html
http://www.makehuman.org/sectionview/614
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby sfammonius » Sat May 25, 2024 3:45 pm

Does the licensing change if I put community assets on the character or are those also CC0?
sfammonius

Postby tomcat » Sat May 25, 2024 4:43 pm

sfammonius wrote:Does the licensing change if I put community assets on the character or are those also CC0?

Assets may have a different license. Usually the license is listed with the resource.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Return to General discussions about makehuman