MakeHuman Community v1.3.0 on Ubuntu Jammy

If your topic doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here.

Moderator: joepal

MakeHuman Community v1.3.0 on Ubuntu Jammy

Postby Ricardo2020 » Thu May 09, 2024 6:57 pm

It is now possible to install and run MakeHuman Community v1.3.0 on Linux Mint Cinnamon Virginia, which is based on the Jammy release of Ubuntu. If you fallow the directions on the Official PPA page using the terminal while logged in as root, the process is painless.

I did notice that rendering was funky on the first try after installation unless I turned on Advanced Render and checking the box for Lightmap SSS. In the default state where these items were not turned on, there were issues such as culling errors which caused the hair to show through the body. I am not sure whether it was an nVidia driver issue or something in the way the Python snaked along during the render. However, after restarting the program a few times during asset file management, the issues seem to have sorted themselves out.

The new version has added some great features such as the Modelling tab/Body Types sub tab. This is a huge boon to those of us who enjoy building models which depict humans that have non average builds, such as big beautiful women and hunky men. This feature lets you make a human in a fraction of the time it would take using individual body/limb/face targets.

There is also a Mas Produce sub tab in the Utilities tab which lets you create a crowd of random or filter selected models in any quantity/shape/size. This is useful for building huge model sets for games or movies. I have yet to try this one out, but other folks here have reported wonderful results using this new tool.

For those who are still running earlier versions on older Linux versions based on Ubuntu, I can say that it is safe to go ahead and upgrade your wares and OS to the latest stable releases. I have already done this on a new SSD. I still have the other drive with my stuff made in 1.2.0 on the Focal branch.

In the days ahead, I shall be migrating my work and assets to the new system. Once completed, I plan to share the results and help others move to the new platform. Stay tuned for posts on this thread about the updates and any issues encountered along the way.
Paddle faster. I hear charango music!
Ricardo2020

Re: MakeHuman Community v1.3.0 on Ubuntu Jammy

Postby punkduck » Fri May 10, 2024 5:59 pm

At least the bugs which had been found and fixed should no longer worry the users. Old v1.2 was a few years old, the version on github was more stable.

So we decided to fix Windows version and put that version on our own server and Joel helped PPA version, since I was too lazy to get a launchpad user (I tested deb-build locally).
punkduck

Re: MakeHuman Community v1.3.0 on Ubuntu Jammy

Postby Ricardo2020 » Fri May 10, 2024 8:13 pm

Greetings, punkduck.

So far, MH v1.3.0 is running smooth on my main 'station. It was a very simple and easy install with the terminal. Most folks who are just getting started with Linux Mint might find the terminal a bit daunting, but it really is just copy and paste since the commands are listed on the PPA. Very well done, Sir.

I look forward to seeing it appear in the Mint Software Manager so that newbies can just click it in there and go. I have not tried the Windows or MAC versions yet, but I have some W7 boxen and a pair of iMACs to use as guinea pigs. That might take a bit since I am really wrapped up in the Linux world.

I like where the software is going, both the standalone and the plugin. I need to get into Blender and wring that puppy out, but life is hectic right now so I will focus on the stand alone Community for the time being.

Again, my flat hat is off to this great team and all the effort put into building MakeHuman Community, such a wonderful program. I am eagerly looking forward to the evolution of the software as more features are added and more assets are created.

Many thanks from that crusty old ranger from east Tennessee...
Paddle faster. I hear charango music!
Ricardo2020

Return to General discussions about makehuman