Make Clothes 2: Bug or PEBKAC

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Make Clothes 2: Bug or PEBKAC

Postby skribe » Sat May 30, 2020 4:58 am

Hey folks:

Thank you for this delicious software. I think I've encountered a problem when making some clothes however.

I made an undershirt and in transferring the shirt between Blender v2.82a and MH-1.2.0 beta (for windows 10-64bit) I seem to have encountered an issue.

Here is how it looks in Blender:

Object mode -

Edit mode -

No errors were reported when 'checking cloth' in MC2.

Any hints on how to fix this?

skribe
skribe

Re: Make Clothes 2: Bug or PEBKAC

Postby jwc » Sat May 30, 2020 5:47 am

Each vertex in a piece of clothing gets its position from the closest human vertices.

Because your Blender human mesh has the arms tight against the body, the inside sleeve and dress sides are "confused" about whether the arm or the torso should be the correct closest controlling vertices. This also shows up with the right hand fingertips.

I would suggest re-assigning the sleeve vertices to a new vertex group (like dress_sleeves).
Leave all the other vertices in the original vertex group (don't forget to remove the sleeve vertices from this group).
Then make the same two vertex groups for the human body, one with just the arms and shoulder vertices for dress_sleeves, and one with just the torso and shoulders for the dress vertex group.

This allows the sleeves to follow the arms and the dress body to follow the torso without the confusion you currently see.

Your other option is to move the Blender arms out toward a T position so this confusion is does not occur.
This is harder to do with an existing model because the mesh can get distorted at the bend points.
jwc

Postby joepal » Sat May 30, 2020 9:36 am

As jwc says. The automatic assignment will work best if you use the default pose and have clothes tightly against the body or the helper groups.

Otherwise you have to match a vertex on the clothing with a vertex on the body by manually assigning them to vertex groups with the same name. Such as "left_arm", "torso", "right_arm".
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby skribe » Sat May 30, 2020 2:06 pm

Thanks you. All fixed now. Well, I remade it, so that works too I guess.

Cheers!

skribe
skribe

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests