Skins?

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Skins?

Postby BaronVonGott » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:31 pm

I'm extremely new to Makehuman, but I love it anyway. I've made about 30 or so different characters and wanted to download some skins. I think I downloaded all of them. (Some work, some don't. Along with the clothes) The ones that work won't stay for some reason. I made my redhead girl ginger, my punk girl tattooed, and finally was able to make the zombie character I wanted to make. Here's the problem: The skins aren't permanent. I went to load the punk girl, and instead of a tattooed body, she had the muddy default glossy brown color. All the downloaded skins do this when I save them to a character. What am I doing wrong? Why won't they stay on the created skin?
Last edited by BaronVonGott on Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The government, which was designed for the people, has got into the hands of the bosses and their employers, the special interests. An invisible empire has been set up above the forms of democracy." - Woodrow Wilson
BaronVonGott

Re: Skins?

Postby punkduck » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:58 pm

BaronVonGott wrote:I'm extremely new to Makehuman, but I love it anyway. I've made about 30 or so different characters and wanted to download some skins. I think I downloaded all of them. (Some work, some don't. Along with the clothes) The ones that work won't stay for some reason. I made my redhead girl ginger, my punk girl tattooed, and finally was able to make the zombie character I wanted to make. Here's the problem: The skins aren't permanent. I went to load the punk girl, and instead of a tattooed body, she had the muddy default glossy brown color. All the downloaded skins do this when I save them to a character. What am I doing wrong? Why won't they stay on the created skin?

Hard to say, I did a lot of own skins and it normally works. For debugging there are some possibilities. One is to look into the log file of MakeHuman (menu: utilities / logs), maybe there you can see an error.

Internally it works like this:
in the the folder makehuman/v1/models the .mhm files are saved. These file describes the setup of your models and these are simple ASCII files, so you can use a text-editor to have a look.

It should look like this near the end (example from my Dani character):

Code: Select all
skinMaterial skins/dani.mhmat
material ponytail01 44e0340e-c7a6-4d22-814c-0632968d2dde ponytail01.mhmat

So step 2: material files for skin you will normally find in makehuman/v1/data/skins, and these are also text files. In the text file there is a line like:
Code: Select all
diffuseTexture textures/dani.png

and so the texture has to be in makehuman/v1/data/skins/textures ,,,

When you work with the new alpha the path is makehuman/v1py3 instead of makehuman/v1.
punkduck

Re: Skins?

Postby BaronVonGott » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:18 pm

:idea: I might have installed it wrong or something. Makehuman is pretty complicated, and I'm learning as I go along. I just figured out how to import clothing, proxymeshs, and hairstyles. (By the way, I love your created stuff) Am I supposed to be dumping all the files into the skins folder? I dumped most of the clothes into one folder too.
"The government, which was designed for the people, has got into the hands of the bosses and their employers, the special interests. An invisible empire has been set up above the forms of democracy." - Woodrow Wilson
BaronVonGott

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests