Installing problems with 1.2.0 alpha 1

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Installing problems with 1.2.0 alpha 1

Postby trentshaw » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:40 am

Hi All,

I downloaded 1.2.0 alpha 1 and install it on my computer. But after the installation i can't find the makehuman.exe file to launch it? What should i do? Do i need 1.1 install also to launch 1.2.0 alpha 1?
trentshaw

Re: Installing problems with 1.2.0 alpha 1

Postby joepal » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:56 am

Also, from the README included in the zip:

To install MakeHuman, use the installer exe.

Note that contrary to the 1.1.x version, this will install MakeHuman as a normal
windows application. To start it, find the MakeHuman icon on the start menu.

You will NOT be able to start it by navigating to the installation folder.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Aranuvir » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:29 pm

@Joel: Does pynsist provide an option to create Desktop shortcuts?
Aranuvir

Postby joepal » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:26 pm

Desktop shortcuts are explicitly not supported by pynsist, because the pynsist author dislikes them:

They're not, because I consider the start menu the place to put application shortcuts, and it annoys me when installers drop shortcuts on the desktop. At least in older versions of Windows, you could easily drag a shortcut from the start menu to the desktop if you wanted that; I don't know if this still works with the start screen.

https://github.com/takluyver/pynsist/issues/95

However, as pynsist is a thin wrapper around NSIS, the same bug thread hints about the possibility to patch the nsi file pynsist bundles. I haven't investigated the viability of this approach yet.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Aranuvir » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:01 pm

Users shouldn't have to think about much during installation. Installing an app should be easy and standardised. Click, click, click, find it in the start menu.

Obviously I like it more complex :mrgreen: . Having an option whether an desktop icon is created or not shouldn't make things too complicated and is probably the expected behavior of the user. In my opinion, digging in the menu items to find the installed application, does not make things easier. Maybe the installation process is very very simple that way (or max. 3 clicks) but after the installation one has to inform the users there won't be the expected exe file, there won't be a desktop icon and one has to dig deeply in the menu to find the application. :? Hmm, that attitude is very debatable...
Aranuvir

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests