Weight painting of lat area for upper and lower upper arms

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Weight painting of lat area for upper and lower upper arms

Postby blindsaypatten » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:33 pm

I don't think the bone in the lower part of the upper arm ought to be influencing the lat area on the torso. Doing so causes a abnormal bulge when the arm is abducted upward and causes the lat area to cave in when the arm is lowered.
BicepPaint1.jpg

BicepPaint2.jpg
Abnormal bulge

BicepPaint3.jpg
Cave-in

After removing that influence it looks a lot better:
BicepPaint4.jpg

(subsurf fixes that straight corner segment nicely)
BicepPaint5.jpg

Trimming back the influence of the upper bone in the upper arm improves it further:
BicepPaint6.jpg

BicepPaint7.jpg

BicepPaint8.jpg

Now that I'm getting more familiar with Blender's Python API I think that I could generate a list of the changed vertices and their new values.
blindsaypatten

Re: Weight painting of lat area for upper and lower upper ar

Postby jujube » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:20 pm

I know right??

I wonder if someone could write a guide to help people decipher the code base... hmm.. :geek:
jujube

Re: Weight painting of lat area for upper and lower upper ar

Postby blindsaypatten » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:25 am

It's always tough working in a new language but I really have to say that being used to programming in "typed" languages like Java or C++ makes it really painful to try to analyze code in a language like Python where there is no way to know what type the parameters to a function are without going to find where it was called (where you find that the value passed was from a parameter of the calling function, meaning you have to go look for where that was called, etc.). It's fine when your working with snippets of code to script something like Blender, but for a larger program like MakeHuman I'm really not enjoying it so far. But I'm getting to the point where I've found the places to hook into and will be writing more of my own code now, which is always more fun. I've almost got multiple materials per object working (for import/export not internally in MH).
blindsaypatten

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests