Status of py3 version

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Status of py3 version

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 pm

I'm not sure if I am using the right forum but...

What is the status of the py3 port of MakeHuman? I downloaded it and so far it seems to be almost fully functional.

A few things I have noticed:
  • no executable
    I'm running it by using Windows Open With... and selecting the python.exe from the included Python directory, it would be nice to have a makehuman.exe like in the py2 version, that would make it easier to use, I wouldn't get two windows (command prompt and makehuman windows), and the icon in the task bar would be the makehuman icon rather than the python icon. I realize this is very trivial, I'm just reporting my experience.
  • no community tab
    Perhaps I just need to install some plugins, but I don't have to with the normal install.
  • under Rendering/Scene the cold/default/warm lighting selection doesn't appear to work.
blindsaypatten

Re: Status of py3 version

Postby loki1950 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:43 pm

Most likely the coders want to get it stable before running the make exe script as for the community tab that has never been part of the initial download you have to install it yourself.The lighting issue it most likely because we updating all the OpenGL code to a current standard.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby joepal » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:25 am

We're currently debating what to do with it. As you have noticed, it is mostly functional with some downsides:

* The FBX export is shaky, or at least need a lot more testing
* It won't run properly on macs half of the time
* Many of the problems with opengl remain

The debate is basically whether we should make a release of it largely as it looks right now, or if we should properly refactor the opengl code first.

The core of the OpenGL code currently dates back to 2005, and builds on API calls that have been deprecated for ages. Most of the time it works, but on some graphics chipsets it simply doesn't. And on other chipsets it is very shaky (thus the need for the "--noshaders" option). It is unlikely it will be possible to fix these things within the scope of the currently used GL implementation, as GL has completely switched the fundamental approach internally in the years that have passed.

Concerning the community tab, the plan is to bundle these things with the download in the future. But when running from source, you have to get the plugins manually.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby blindsaypatten » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:27 pm

Personally, I think it worthwhile as it is, as long as it is labeled to indicate that it's alpha code so people have appropriate expectations.

Just the fact that it splits the left, mid, and right panels in a more reasonable manner on high resolution screens is enough to make me prefer it.

That said, the March 5th release is doing the job for me already, I don't know how much work has progressed since then or how useful it is to have people "testing by using" it.

Bravo on getting it this far!
blindsaypatten

Postby Aranuvir » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Just some annotations: Using code from github is always on your own risk, as long as the code isn't labeled as release. If you plan to do some beta testing, I'd recommend to back up your production data. E.g. model tagging is not backward compatible (the code is in a separate branch !) . If you want to use those mhm-files for older MakeHuman versions, they need to be fixed manually.
Here is a graphical overview about what has happened since March:
https://github.com/makehumancommunity/makehuman/network

FBX export is not shaky, currently it is broken.
The rendering/lighting issue should be fixed.

And it seems there is a new nightly build on the server, now...
Aranuvir

Postby joepal » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:46 pm

Yeah, I made a new build today.

And to avoid confusion: This is an actual installer. It places the icon for the runnable on the start menu, and starting via that entry is required. I.e, you can not go to the installation destination folder and try to run manually from there, unless you want to do some manual work with python paths etc.

The reason is that the menu entry on the start menu points towards a python launcher call that will correctly pick the right embedded python version for launching the code in the installation folder, as well as setting up environment and providing the correct flags.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby blindsaypatten » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:12 am

Sorry to be dense but can you give me a full link? Thanks!
blindsaypatten

Postby joepal » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:52 am

This is where you find all test builds: http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman/nightly/

The one we're currently talking about is this: http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman ... -win32.exe
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests