Developing MakeHuman Into MakeCartoon

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Developing MakeHuman Into MakeCartoon

Postby MonkeyPossum » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:09 pm

I'm interested in developing MakeHuman into an offshoot called MakeCartoon. It would work like MakeHuman, except be geared towards the creation of cartoon characters, not realistic characters.

Are you a software coder who is familiar with the architecture of MakeHuman?

Couldn't the constraints in MakeHuman be changed to allow, e.g. bigger eyes?

Couldn't some of the parameters be eliminated to make for a simpler system overall?

Would modifying MakeHuman into MakeCartoon be relatively easy, quite difficult, or literally impossible?
MonkeyPossum

Re: Developing MakeHuman Into MakeCartoon

Postby RobBaer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:39 pm

I can't be absolutely sure, but two things that you might look at to send you sailing in the direction you want to go are the "grease pencil" just added to the Blender 2.8 alpha 2 and some of the cartoon capabilities of Manuel Bastioni laboratory. If you do not know about and/or have not already looked into these tools you may find part of what you' re looking for.
RobBaer

Postby joepal » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:00 am

My suggestion is that you look into targets (http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... _target%3F) and proxies (http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... a_proxy%3F). These are how MakeHuman handle body modifications internally, and there are (so-so userfriendly) tools for creating these.

As long as you don't need to break the basic structure of MakeHuman (and, for example, want people with four arms), you should be able to do most of what you like by simply adding more specific proxies and targets. No code change needed.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby MonkeyPossum » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:03 pm

@ joepal,

Thanks, I appreciate the referrals. But a software engineer sending a person to "proxies" and "targets" is like a master chef sending a person to the grocery store. I'm sure the parts are out there, I'm kind of looking for somebody who knows how to put them together.

@ RobBaer

Thanks, I appreciate the referrals. I'm looking into it.
MonkeyPossum

Postby MonkeyPossum » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Manuel Bastoni Lab looks awesome. However, it also appears to be geared to realism, indeed "hyper realism".
MonkeyPossum

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests