Unwanted leg bone rotation in IK

Tech support and suggestions forum. If you only have a basic question on how to get started, please use the "newbies" forum in the community section.

Moderator: joepal

Unwanted leg bone rotation in IK

Postby Blacksage » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:22 am

I exported a mesh into blender(2.55 rl32739) using Makehuman 1.0 alpha 5 some time ago and when I shift the legs to IK the entire leg rotates, and the foot will be rotated in a strange manner.
I have a similar issue as the one posted here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1243
After altering the angle of the pole targets (as suggested in one of the replies to that post) disabling 'inherit rotation' on the IK foot bone would fix part of the problem. However the UpLegIK bone is rotated and it causes the characters Thigh to rotate out of place. I tried experimenting with the limit rotation constraint on UpLegIK but I'm not really sure what I'm doing so I'm not trying to muck up things any further.
I intend to post Screenshots for visual reference in the differences between IK & FK. Currently I'm getting network errors while attempting to upload them to photobucket.

edit: Still no luck with photobucket so I Uploaded them to facebook instead
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... =142301262 Legs in IK

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... =142301262 Legs in FK
Blacksage

Re: Unwanted leg bone rotation in IK

Postby ThomasL » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:44 pm

I am unable to reproduce this behavior with updated versions of MH and Blender. Perhaps it has been fixed. At some point I changed some roll angles and constraints if the feet that behaved oddly. Try to download a fresh nightly build and an up-to-date Blender.

However, I do have a problem with the transition between FK and IK if the leg is in a non-trivial pose. Even if the pure IK and FK poses are the same, intermediate poses are not. AFAIU, this is due to a strange behaviour in Blender: the rotations of the IK thigh and shin are not updated when the leg is posed with the end effector.
ThomasL

Postby Blacksage » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:30 pm

I followed you're advice and downloaded the latest nightly build and the latest version of blender and when you shift the legs to 100% they still rotate ever so slightly(by visual estimate less than 3 degrees)and the knees still move to point inward, but that's not really my issue at this time. My concern is the rotated bone shapes on the FK toes. I tried altering the bone roll, initial value was set at -45 degrees. I tried 0 and 45 degrees respectively and with each value deformed the mesh itself. with the shapes current position the toe deforms on the wrong x axis if that makes any sense, which in turn will make correct posing of the foot difficult at best.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... =142301262
I love the new rig setup it's much easier to pose.
Blacksage

Postby ThomasL » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:38 am

The remaining 2.5 degree leg rotation has been fixed, at least for the default character. The toe custom shapes were bent in my system too, but for some reason not so much as in your picture. They have been rotated into place in svn. Not sure if the changes made it into today's nightly build, but they will be available tomorrow. The updated rig can be recognized by the colored bones in pose mode.
ThomasL

Return to Bugs, problems and feature requests