Importing MH fbx to Blender

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Importing MH fbx to Blender

Postby Joshea » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:53 pm

Hi,
Importing a Makehuman fbx to Blender 3.6, the skin comes out distorted. I tried the same import with Blender 3.5 and all was well.
I'm on an intel mac, if that helps.
Attached are two pics after the import.
Cheers.
Attachments
Blender 3.6.png
Blender 3.5.png
Blender 3.5
Joshea

Re: Importing MH fbx to Blender

Postby RobBaer » Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:40 pm

Thanks for sharing this information.

Because FBX code is proprietary and closed format without public specs, Blender(Cambell Barton, I think) reverse engineered its ability to read such files. MH built on the open source Blender version somewhere back in the dark ages. For context, I believe all this happened before MH's .mhx, which is itself now defunct and no longer maintained. It appears that with Blender 3.6 FBX things have changed enough to break compatibility further than before.

With MHFB and the evolution of asset exchange formats that FBX will be a major focus of MH's limited developer time in the near future. However, if you end up discovering what changed, we would very much welcome your contributions to upgrading the FBX exporter to keep it compatible with the most recent Blender.
RobBaer

Re: Importing MH fbx to Blender

Postby rogerturcotte » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:49 am

Someone in Blender (probably Campbell Barton) figured out how to read FBX files by reverse engineering them, since the format is proprietary and closed without public specs. Long ago, MH expanded upon the open-source Blender version. Everything took place prior to MH's.mhx, which is no longer in operation, so that you have some background. geometry dash Things seem to have changed sufficiently with Blender 3.6 FBX to cause compatibility issues even more severe than before.
rogerturcotte

Return to Blender and MPFB