Help creating a "trim" on clothing

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Re: Help creating a "trim" on clothing

Postby punkduck » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:25 pm

Well Loki, the first image is a photo the second one is geometry in Blender, Elv could not be that wrong :lol: ;)

I will try an answer because I also had my problems to understand the real problem. Maybe an image helps. There are two different possibilities. One is to extrude a trim at the lower edge of the piece of cloth, the other one is to do a complete seperate one. Both works. I also did the trim a bit elevated (u-shaped!) in the small demo. This normally creates more 3d effect. In my case a quad mesh is easier, but it also works with tri-meshes.

Advantage of separate trim:

• automatically creates and own island because it is not connected.
  • no problems with color bleeding when you use subdivision surface technique
  • the trim is (more or less) rectangular in UV map, this could help for e.g. lace trims because texture is simpler (all on a straight line), etc.

Disadvantage: for cloth simulation it falls usually apart.

The unwrap (normal one) of the demo you can see directly, also where the seams are. Use edge or vertex mode of course and do not forget seams also at "normal places" (where the piece of cloth has usually seams) otherwise the unwrap looks weird. But that's exactly what Elv explained. For this simple example you can use one map, the texture should contain both materials. You can also create two materials and use the same UV map ... you can even create more than one UV map. But honestly best way is to use only one per asset.

I normally use more than one material in Blender (mostly because of glossy versus diffuse material), but I always use only one UV map. At least for clothes ...

Btw.: For a simple two-color version it is easier to use e.g. GIMP and just to put together the two simple fabric textures in this case. Of course any other paint program will do the same ...

seams.jpg
punkduck

Re: Help creating a "trim" on clothing

Postby MTKnife » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:29 am

As a hybrid approach, you can create a single mesh and then map different parts of it to different locations on the UV map--after you've done that, you can straight the area representing the trim, so that, as punkduck says, you can make the texture straight. The only real wrinkle (ha-ha) is that sometimes you have to be careful that the faces on the UV are proportional to the ones on the mesh--if the mesh faces don't all represent the same sizes of cloth. This is the approach I use for zippers--look at my Pleated miniskirt (http://www.makehumancommunity.org/clothes/pleated_miniskirt.html) for an example.
MTKnife

Previous

Return to Blender and MPFB