Need help with hair texture

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Need help with hair texture

Postby bimpop » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:56 am

Hello,

I would like to contribute to hair assets, especially African-style for males. Looking through the current hair assets, the textures have a unique style that I would like to maintain in the ones I create.

Can anyone show me how the hair textures are created or what tools were used?

Your assistance would be much appreciated.
bimpop

Re: Need help with hair texture

Postby Elvaerwyn » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:21 am

Greetings,

More hair assets in the repo are always welcomed with warm arms! Generally the best method for creating hair textures is to use strands as simple as possible as close to the direction of the mesh as possible. for example, assuming you are making mesh/geometry based hair. The strands would be a few cm wide per set of strands, and the hair texture then should be strands in sets of a few cm wide running in the same parallel as the mesh, vertically or horizontally as the uwrap/uv stipulates. the hair segments can have texture and even a wave to them, it adds to the realism in the overall effect especially if you are going to be working with more ethnic hairs. Ideally in my hair I try to put the roots at the top and the tips at the bottom and make texture similarly.

visual example provided.
Attachments
hairunwrap.png
example
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Re: Need help with hair texture

Postby bimpop » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:44 am

Thanks for the response! I will give the strands approach a shot.

Some of the hairstyles I am looking to create are short and curly, so I am also curious about how to make the texture images. The texture I am aiming for is like the "Afro01" asset.

What is your process to create the texture images?
and
How do I create something like the hair texture in your attached image but with the strands broken up and curly?
bimpop

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader