Still very much a work in progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wip4yguHCw
Orphan, an epic fantasy by H. Jonas Rhynedahll
The Key to Magic: Book One
Available on Kindle at Amazon: The Key to Magic
Rhynedahll

Re: Test scene from my hobby short film project-Telriy

Postby Shaba1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:02 am

Nice video did you do the animation yourself or use motion capture files. What did you use to do the animation?
Shaba1

Postby Rhynedahll » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:07 am

Shaba1 wrote:Nice video did you do the animation yourself or use motion capture files. What did you use to do the animation?

I did the animation of the MH model, which still needs more work, by hand. It uses the MHX rig and Blender internal renderer. (Cycles will not yet do particle hair, etc.) I also used the Hair Dynamics collision patch by Helmut Schultz. The patch only partially works, but it's the only thing available.

I've added bones to the wrists to make the lower section of the forearms twist when using IK.

I've also added bones to the breasts to simulate the effects of gravity, but those do not quite work for reasons I have yet to discover.

The background models and textures are only half done and I still haven't figured out how to make the Ocean Sim do what I need. I don't yet know how to do sky and horizon that looks distant.

I'm hoping that I can polish this scene over the next few months and move onto the other scenes in the project. I'm learning a lot about animation and Blender -- slowly -- so it has been a very rewarding experience.
Rhynedahll

Postby ThomasL » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:18 am

Nice work. Something is wrong with the facial expressions, though. Perhaps because she doesn't blink.

There is also something strange with how the blouse moves. The collar seems to oscillates. Did you use cloth simulation?

But it's certainly better than anything that I have done. By hand, at least, mocap doesn't really count.
ThomasL

Postby Rhynedahll » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:56 pm

ThomasL wrote:Nice work. Something is wrong with the facial expressions, though. Perhaps because she doesn't blink.

The expressions were an experiment that I worked on but did not complete. I did use blink, but the rate is too slow to register. I'm going to get back to the face once I have the body done.

There is also something strange with how the blouse moves. The collar seems to oscillates. Did you use cloth simulation?

Yes, the blouse and skirt use the cloth simulation. The oscillation is caused by collision problems. Making cloth look right is something I'm still trying to learn.

One problem I have is that my PC is not robust enough (even with 8 gig and a 6 core processor) to preview the animation in realtime. I can only get 8-10 fps with all physics baked and can only see the full speed animation after a render. This incomplete scene with backgrounds and lighting takes 30 hours or so to render, and some errors are only apparent when I view the full scene. The stripped down scene takes up to six, so changes take a while.
Rhynedahll

Postby brkurt » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Have you tried setting up a render farm to solve your data throughput problem?

I can walk you through it, but you'll need at least a network hub and four older computers besides your main PC work station. :geek:
brkurt

Postby Manuel » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:53 pm

Nice video.
The problems to fix are the hands movements and the facial expression, but as test it's not bad.
Manuel

Postby Rhynedahll » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:49 am

brkurt wrote:Have you tried setting up a render farm to solve your data throughput problem?

I can walk you through it, but you'll need at least a network hub and four older computers besides your main PC work station. :geek:

I used a render farm with the older version of blender but I understand that the script that I used does not work with 2.61. I tried the network renderer in Blender, but I could not get it to function properly. It's still a wip, it seems.
Rhynedahll

Postby Rhynedahll » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:52 am

Manuel wrote:Nice video.
The problems to fix are the hands movements and the facial expression, but as test it's not bad.

Thanks. The hands, I have found, are very difficult because of the complexity of the bones. I hope to be able to smooth out the body animation and then will work on the expressions. I've set myself a deadline to finish this scene completely by mid summer, but I have a great many things to figure out.
Rhynedahll

Return to Gallery