Rain Attempt

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Rain Attempt

Postby o4saken » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:38 pm

So after the recent talk of rain with the "trail" things on the skin in the forum with the GREAT art by Pirata. i thought i would give it a quick try. The actual trail things prove very difficult to achieve, especially just trying to use a texture to fake it. I think the real solution would be to have particle collision on the skin and use dynamic paint to paint as the drops hit the skin and turn drip on so that it drips down and paints as it goes, once baked this texture would be used for the gloss factor.

But for this i just used 2 particle systems, one for the rain around the person, and one set as hair, but in the hair settings i changed it to object, this creates the droplets that actually sit on the skin..

over all its not too bad, i think if one had to really sit and play with it one could get realistic results.
raintest.png
o4saken

Re: Rain Attempt

Postby Pirata_62 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:56 am

Thank you for the compliment, o4saken!
When I started doing the rain scene, I found 2 tutorials from Blender Guru about rain. In one of them, in fact, he uses dynamic paint to do the effect of the raindrops in a road. But then I saw it was an old video, from the time of blender 2.61, and he was still using internal render. In the other one he showed how to do those "trails" as meshes and then as a particle system set to groups. Only it was in a glass window, not in a "curvy" surface like the human body. I tried to follow it but I failed miserably in making the trails, due to either my inability or my impatience. Then I gave up. And I made my droplets as particle hair too, only I set to group instead of object.
I think your solution for droplets in the human body is the best, cause it looks realistic enough to me.
Pirata_62

Return to Gallery