Male WIP

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Male WIP

Postby o4saken » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:36 am

There has been a lot of amazing stuff posted on here lately - Mindfront, Punkduck. Seeing all of these i found some inspiration again - so thank you guys for that.
I know i probably could never create something as good as Mindfront is currently doing, but that doesnt mean i cant try push myself.
That said this picture is using only the base model from make clothes and as such the eyes are part of the whole model and i just added texture so they arent plain white..

The hair is a WIP as is the beard - however the beard is proving difficult and is making dark faces for some reason.
then the main reason for this picture is the skin - this is all texture driven, using a diffuse, a freckle overlay, normal maps x2, and then working on a Specularity map in hopes of getting the body, in this case the face, to shine like skin where it is shinier in certain places than others. this is evident in picture arround the eyes, bridge of nose and lips - although the lips need work on the normal map. Anyway i am quite happy with how things are looking and thought i would share.

render.png

Below is some more renders - the first being a different angle but same image as above, only lighting is higher to show how it catches on the face.
then below is an extreme close up of the nose to show how the textures are looking.
my hopes is to get a skin that can do closeups - obviously one would use particle hair then aswell to get realistic results, i am just using these now so that the guy doesnt look like an alien.
lighter.png

there are some issues with textures, as can be seen on eye lid, but they are easy to fix.
o4saken

Re: Male WIP

Postby punkduck » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:09 pm

o4saken wrote:There has been a lot of amazing stuff posted on here lately - Mindfront, Punkduck. Seeing all of these i found some inspiration again - so thank you guys for that.

don't mention it, you are also doing wonderful stuff. Hopefully I will always get inspirated to have new ideas ... some times by other members, by watching films or whatever else happens around me.

The hair is not particle hair? If that is the truth, then your beard and hair is really a very good work.

Did you duplicate faces in beard region and assign them to another material or do faces of the beard are exactly at the same position as the face?
I had this problem long time ago with the scalp, I duplicated it, changed material to transparent, put strand hair on it and the effect was similar.
When the faces are exactly at the same position as others Blender takes them randomly.
So in my case there are parts where you can look into the character, it was not that the transparent faces are invisible and the skin itself was always visible ...
punkduck

Postby o4saken » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:11 am

I did some more work on the Hair, cleaned up the hair line and added more strands to the texture.
hair.png
o4saken

Postby o4saken » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:47 pm

punkduck wrote:
Did you duplicate faces in beard region and assign them to another material or do faces of the beard are exactly at the same position as the face?
I had this problem long time ago with the scalp, I duplicated it, changed material to transparent, put strand hair on it and the effect was similar.
When the faces are exactly at the same position as others Blender takes them randomly.
So in my case there are parts where you can look into the character, it was not that the transparent faces are invisible and the skin itself was always visible ...

I had a look at what you said, as my first thought was that it was colliding with the skin - but no it is not that. what is happening is that in order to make the beard more full there are quite a few transparent layers of faces with hair texture, and i discovered that when you add too many Blender then makes artifacts in that some faces render black - i have had this happen on many occasions when making actual hair styles. each time i could not figure out what i am doing wrong because i could clearly see that from certain angles the transparent was working but direct view i had black artifact faces. each time i then just threw the entire creation away thinking i had messed up in modeling.

On playing today i discovered lightpaths under the render tab in blender - and there is a setting there for transparency and Blenders default bounce between transparent layers is 8 - clearly this is fine when using a single even double layer of transparent faces but when many are added it is not enough - having set the light bounce there to 15 solved the problem right away.

here you can clearly see the difference in my unfinished render
beard1.png
o4saken

Postby punkduck » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:33 am

o4saken wrote:
On playing today i discovered lightpaths under the render tab in blender - and there is a setting there for transparency and Blenders default bounce between transparent layers is 8 - clearly this is fine when using a single even double layer of transparent faces but when many are added it is not enough - having set the light bounce there to 15 solved the problem right away.

Ah, I always thought some of the values in Blender are set to "infinity" :lol: , but yes, you are right. Normally I'm not using polygon hair today, but when I used it, it was so compact, that you can't see through more than 3 layers at a maximum. But good to know, that this may created weird effects when I'm e.g. doing some work on transparent clothing with pleats.

I just downloaded the hair and checked it (especially the geometry in Blender). Great work. I also checked the textures and compared them to my old polygon hairdoes. What a difference ...

If you do them a little thinner, then there is no need for strand hair at all ... ;)
punkduck

Postby o4saken » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:14 am

punkduck wrote:
If you do them a little thinner, then there is no need for strand hair at all ... ;)

yes they are still a bit thick - I intend to rework the texture, but for that I need to do it at home and not at work so that I can use my drawing tablet to get real thin strands.
o4saken

Return to Gallery