8k bump map

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: 8k bump map

Postby PrefectF » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:06 am

lorddaroth wrote:Is this available anywhere? Because fuck it looks awesome

Glad you like the work. Honestly this was just a test run with painting bump maps instead of sculpting(I should have put it in WIP). The head is the only thing that is close to something finished. If I can find the blend file I will pack the images and upload it. If I remember correctly I think i was using a few bump maps and a normal map. They can all be combined into one normal but with multiple maps there is a lot more you can do to control the skin over various models. If I can get it to upload, not sure about file size restrictions, you can see how it is put together.

Give me a day or two and I'll get something posted...They may not be the full size images.
PrefectF

Postby PrefectF » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:13 pm

lorddaroth wrote:Is this available anywhere? Because fuck it looks awesome

Ok, as promised here are a couple of blend files. The first is the combination of a normal map and the bump map that I was painting. This blend shows a basic setup for the materials and how to mix the normal and bump. It is possible to mix and layer multiple bump maps. How you do that is preference. My goal was to create a base then add in extras such as veins and scars or wrinkles without destroying the base bump. You could mix these in a number of ways. My base for the bump was 50% grey and going from there. The additional maps could be painted on a transparent background.The skin alphas I used for texture painting I believe were in a free package I downloaded, but I also make a few custom textures.

I deleted the HDRI I used and the skin texture so they need to be added back into the blend. Any HDRI will work. I think I used a generic makehuman texture for the skin. So just add whatever one you want to use. The spec map is there just to be there it would need some work, I did not work on it much at all. This is really a unfinished project. The base normal map I made in substance painter then edited in gimp with textures baked in blender.

The workflow I used to paint the bump I posted in a earlier post in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZyRimOBU-g

sknBump.blend
(21.41 MiB) Downloaded 887 times

If you start to pile up bump maps and normal maps the render times become insane. Especially if you are using large textures. To solve this problem I found a node that bakes all of the combined bump maps and normal maps into a single normal map. This is a super handy node to know how to use because it can take multiple texture maps and combine them into one single normal map. Here is an article on how it is used and where to find it here:

http://digicreatures.net/articles/cycle ... aking.html

And here is the blend that is using it with these textures. Again the same textures were omitted (HDRI and skin)

toNormal.blend
(29.37 MiB) Downloaded 848 times

Again it is an unfinished project but the substance of it is all in the blend files, article and youtube tutorial. The normal that I made and the bump feel free to use however you want to use them. I didnt post them in the user contributions but they are packed in the blend files.
PrefectF

Postby lorddaroth » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out
lorddaroth

Postby PrefectF » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:24 pm

finalFacel.png

FFN.png

finalBackDark.png

Some continued work with an 8k bump/normal map. Critiques or suggestions would be more than welcome. The last render really has nothing to do with the bump map I just thought it turned out pretty good.
PrefectF

Postby rwman » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:55 pm

This looks very cool! What is the license on those textures? Can I reuse them in a game? Or create public version as makehuman asset?
rwman

Postby PrefectF » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:30 pm

rwman wrote:This looks very cool! What is the license on those textures? Can I reuse them in a game? Or create public version as makehuman asset?

Glad you like the textures! You are more than welcome to use them however you want to use them. You do not have to worry about crediting me with any of them. The diffuse texture is built with textures that are all available from the makehuman assets. I just mixed masked and blended them, then multiplied a detail mask over the top of them. There is however a bit of coloration coming from the SSS color which is not a flat color. The bump/height/normal is an 8k texture, some of which was done in Substance Painter but mostly done in blender. Yeah, I kind of cheated using Substance....lol. If I am correct there is a limit to the resolution, 4k, as to what can be uploaded to the asset library. So I never uploaded the textures.

I am not sure what game engine you are using but I am fairly familiar with game texturing. This would look good in the HDRP rendering in Unity. I would be more than willing to bake out the textures and upload them but need to know what maps you need and at what resolution. Or if you are using multiple maps in a single image what channels you want the maps placed. In general if you want any help with texturing game assets, or modeling, let me know I would be happy to help.

This is assuming that you were talking about the human skin. The ava model would be a whole different monster to put into game textures.
PrefectF

Reboot

Postby PrefectF » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:52 pm

face1.png

face2.png

face3.png

I have completely re-thought my work flow considering bump/height. I was previously baking and layering normal maps. Now I have completely moved to working with nothing but a height map to display bump/displacement. There is a normal map but it is nothing more than a bake to a more subdivided mesh with no real height information. I have not painted a roughness map for the skin completely but it will only be a simple value map relying totally on the height map for detail and break up.

The renders are 2k so they need to be opened to see the detail in them.

--The face is done for the moment and I am beginning to work on the body next. Once the height is done I will begin working on the roughness and then hand painting a skin texture.
PrefectF

Skin Shader Redo

Postby PrefectF » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:26 pm

I have taken a completely different approach on how I am shading skin. The shader is far from done but I am pretty happy with the results so far.

newShaderf.png

newShader.png
PrefectF

Previous

Return to Gallery