Cloe Final render 1000 samples

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Cloe Final render 1000 samples

Postby AstutePauciloquent » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:41 pm

Greetings, I posted this over on reddit blender, and thought I would share it with the makehuman community to.

I started out playing around with makehuman, its actually rather flexible with what you can create, I believe makehuman is a great time saver as it saves you potentially years of creation time, and gives you a great starting point. But that's not to say you shouldn't learn the basics of character rigging first.

I like how the developers thought of allowing custom assets, as makehuman out of the box is rather simple, for example, you cannot create a realistic nose or cheeks, so you need to create many different custom targets that can be used to better manipulate the makehuman mesh, more so than the default sliders.

The default UV layout is rather nice and easy to work with, however the head/face UV area is terrible, this is because the pixel density around the face is only 260x260 pixels, in my opinion this is not enough pixel density to have unique facial features once rendered with SSS as even an area of 512x512 would still be to small now days. Using the default skin I was never able to get away from the classic makehuman appearance. So I decided to change the head island, making the back of the head UV area much smaller, seeing that its most likely going to be covered with particle or mesh hair anyway that detail is not important and may as well be sacrificed for greater face detail. I also decided to increase the overall skin texture resolution to 4096x4096 giving me much greater overall resolution, with a face texture area of around 880x880 pixels.

This brings me to the most frustrating part about this characters development, the Transfer UV feature does not reassign or rebuild the vertex order, (maybe there is a good reason for this). But after an entire day of reading over forum posts about the same issue, I came across this little gem about Sort Elements, I can not express how important this little mostly unknown blender feature is, specially when you have a number of different master models, setup with different UV layouts, for projection painting, that take days to setup. (Actually, sadly, sort elements turned out to be completely useless for matching vertex orders, so I have been learning how to create custom proxys, so that I can more easily use my new UV layout).

Shaders where learned over about 2 years with lots of research, I learned 100's of different materials over this time, not just human shaders. At first I did a few tutorials but soon realized I would need to go much deeper into learning shader nodes. Some tutorials are a decent starting point, but then a lot of tutorials will teach you something that will only look good in a specific lighting environment, making them completely useless when used on a character or in a proper lighting environment setup.

The skin shader uses a diffuse, light map and normal map. The skin texture has enough resolution to retain skin pores and other facial imperfections, but the skin pores don't really show up unless the camera is extremely close to the face, and I render at around 2000 samples. For this character I decided to leave out a lot of imperfections and just go with an airbrushed look. For my next character I may step up the face texture resolution to 2048x2048 and give the face area its own texture altogether.

The hair and eyebrows are particles, setup in a way that best recreates how real life hair grows using around 6 different vertex groups. The eyebrows were very difficult to make, and are in their 4th generation, im still not %100 happy with how they look, but I think I have the shader mostly worked out, as they look soft and natural.

The lips are setup using a mask, so that they can have a different glossy appearance to the main facial area, however im still not really happy with the transition between the skin area and the lips, any advice on how to improve this would be much appreciated. There is also a small mask around the inner eyelids done much the same way, to try and give the eye lids subtle wet look.

Total creation time would be around 2 months on and off in my spear time, spanning out over around one year, including all the first attempts through trail and error, and also all of the improved shader experimentation. I know what people mean when they say they're never really happy with the end result, and putting so much time and effort into something can leave one feeling empty.

Shout out the blender developers, makehuman developers and HDRI Haven.

I welcome any tips on ways I could improve, I'll also try and answer any questions people may have.
Last edited by AstutePauciloquent on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
AstutePauciloquent

Re: Cloe Final render 1000 samples

Postby punkduck » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Welcome!

Well, considering that this is your first post over here, you delivered one of the best images in this forum. :D

WIth the skin I'm doing the same thing, I changed it to 4096x4096. But I didn't change the relations between head and body. The original head is about 2.5 times more detailed than the rest of the body. The border between body and head is visible in most skins I've done for myself. How did you manage that? In this forum we have played around with procedural shaders and I've done some experiments with combining these shaders with a photo-reference texture I'm using. And you are absolutely right, that a very detailed skin texture (or an additional normal and/or specular-map) only is useful, when you make close-ups.

It is hard to find things, which are not nearly perfect in your image. The only thing I can see (and I have the same problem) is, where the hair leaves the head. Maybe less thickness of the hair helps, or there is a simple possibility to darken the skin in the region, where the hair is growing. Ah yes, and one tiny thing: Left and right eyebrows are 100% mirrored, the texture of the lips also ... she's too perfect 8-)
Ah, forget about my words ... there are not much people here, who are able to do it like you do.

Last not least it depends on the goal you want to reach. Photo-realistic style is one goal, but other people want to have a character for a game engine. Some want to create comic-characters, some only use body-parts. In these cases smaller textures make sense ... And in other articles of this forum I read about people complaining that there is no one-click engine. The MakeHuman-team should keep them all happy :shock:

But yes, simulation of the real world and all physical facts is not simple, as you mentioned. To understand methods in Blender took me the same time as you said and I'm still learning. But the real world is also complicated ;)

I hope we will see more of this, I like it.
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:13 pm

Nice image. I don't see any problems in the lips area, but this might be me not looking close enough. Thanks for your detailed desription of what you did. This might be helpful in many cases. BTW: Welcome to the forum.
wolgade

Postby AstutePauciloquent » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:28 am

Thanks, I'm sure I will post some updates here.

punkduck wrote:where the hair leaves the head.

Yeah I've actually been struggling with this for a few days striate now, I have since created two solutions for this 'visible hair plug issue', that might work; one is incorporating an alpha gradient so at the very beginning of each strand, there is tiny amount of alpha, this helps to blur in the hair plugs, but also increases the render times quite alot. The other method is to use the same gradient, but instead of using the alpha I use a MixRGB node that makes the very beginning of the strands the same color as the scalp, this also seems to blend the hair in, and make it more natural looking, but I haven't done any full renders to find out yet.

I'm learning that things can't be %100 perfect for characters, for my next character I will make sure there are subtle differences between the left and right side of the face.
AstutePauciloquent

Postby Mindfront » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:42 am

I like the image and the woman's expression and I can not see any problem in the transition between the skin area and the lips.

Making a skin texture and shader seems to be a never ending story at least for me but I think I am near almost finished. From time to time I have worked for almost two years. I made my textures in 8192 resolution but most often I use 4096 version as the largest is for microscope closeups :D By using wolgade's "Procedural skin for cycles" viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14174 and lay it on top of my texture the detail level got even further. I am about to render some examples...
Example.png
Skin texture with wolgade's "Procedural skin" added as bump
Mindfront

Return to Gallery