New host for asset downloader files

Discussions that concern the community rather than the makehuman software

New host for asset downloader files

Postby joepal » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Since my current web server (hosted in a corner in my apartment, behind a door and under a large pile of dust) have been groaning in pain under the load caused by the asset downloader, I have now taken some measures to redirect some of the traffic.

The first measure is that the initial synchronization will download a seed zip (300 mb large... and that's just screenshots and thumbnails) from tuxfamily (which is where we host our download binaries).

The second is that all assets downloaded via the downloader are now fetched from a mirror of the user repo, hosted at a commercial web site company. They are a bit on the expensive side, but they promise unlimited storage and unlimited traffic. We'll see if they think the usage is fair in the longer run.

Because of the mirror thing, assets will lag a bit behind before appearing in the downloader. The synchronization takes place once per night, swedish time. I have done an initial synchronization now at lunch time though.

The redirect to the mirror is implemented server side, so it should work without having to download a new version of the downloader plugin.

However, if you experience strangenesses or if your uploaded assets don't appear within 24 hours, please report this to me.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Community discussions