New test build for windows

Locked forum where the devs and staff post news about the makehuman software

Re: New test build for windows

Postby RobBaer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:19 am

There is some question about what constitutes good testing of these problems. I may be repeating a faux-pas by cutting and pasting from notepad++ which served as an intermediary between this forum and Win 10 Windows Explorer

Using file explorer I changed the Makehuman folder name to E:\MHPreåäöüñé I then tried to start MH by double clicking on makehuman.exe. It failed with the following dialog. Somehow the letters in the dialog appear to have been interpreted as UTF-16.

I'm not sure this should be called a real failure of MH. It may just be a poor approach to testing. Nevertheless the result seems woth sharing for comment.

dialog.png
dialog

The dialog aside, if I cut and paste the path from file explorer, it reads simply: E:\MHPreåäöüñé

If I change the folder name back to E:/MHPre makehuman.exe starts just fine.
RobBaer

Postby joepal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:35 am

It should be possible to write most of those characters even on an american keyboard. A better test would be trying to enter the character thusly and see what happens.

å=Alt+134
ä=Alt+132
ö=Alt+148

Hold down the "alt" key and write the key codes on the numpad.

In this way, you would simulate a normal scenario when a user has entered a valid file name rather than copy-pasted it from the web.

There should also be a character map tool in many versions of windows, see http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/charmap.html
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Aranuvir » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:51 am

Just to reiterate: The issue arises under the following two conditions:

You try 1) to start ANY (not only MakeHuman) Python2 based application 2) from a folder containing characters your current system localization does not (primary) support.
I'm pretty sure on my Windows system MakeHuman will startup without any problems from the folder, Rob used for testing, since the charters are supported by my primary localization (though I'm not sure about the odd ñ ...). This issue seems to be Python2 dependent. Obviously Python3 is doing better, at least Blender starts up flawless from a folder containing Russian characters. IIRC, Blender is some Pyhton3.5m based. So it's an issue we can't solve, but only give advices to the users.
I've tested the behavior with other Python2 dependent software like GIMP, Scribus, Inkscape... Usually they are installed to a system folder that is >100% ASCII compliant. But if you use their portable version, you are free to choose your installation folder and you can force the condition described above.

To me there is only the question: Are the few test cases, that demonstrated using non-ASCII characters of your current localization is save for installation, enough to establish the general rule that is valid for all localizations available? I'd say yes, but would feel better if more users with other localization could confirm the behavior. Unfortunately I was not able to download win7 Russian localization from Microsoft's homepage for further testing.

BTW, forcing other codepages with CHCP, like 65001 and trying to start MakeHuman from command line, made things even worse and the shell cheerfully crashed after entering the 'dir: command.
Aranuvir

Postby joepal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:19 am

In the best of worlds we should run tests with russian, arabic and chinese versions of windows. Using russian, arabic and chinese keyboards.

I can see one or two hurdles in such a test scenario though. :-)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby joepal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:26 am

Although with the refugee crisis, the woods around here are full of syrians. There's got to be one of those who managed to bring an arabic laptop with them when swimming across the mediterranean.

I'll ask around.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby Freehunter » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:37 pm

RobBaer wrote:SNIPPED
Using file explorer I changed the Makehuman folder name to E:\MHPreåäöüñé I then tried to start MH by double clicking on makehuman.exe. It failed with the following dialog. Somehow the letters in the dialog appear to have been interpreted as UTF-16.
SNIPPED

Wondering what would happen if you moved / copied your folder E:\MHPreåäöüñé to C:\MHPreåäöüñé

Ask because when moved from E:\TéléTélé to C:\TéléTélé then MakeHuman ran on both 8.1 and XP.

Don't know if will make a difference in your case. Tried this after saw following:

Error loading Python DLL on Windows when executing .exe from non-ascii path · Issue #1224 · pyinstaller/pyinstaller · GitHub

"Yesterday I have discovered very strange behavior of built dist (.exe files) of my program when I tried to open the program from path which contains non-ascii characters and the program was located out of my primary hardisk (on another physical disk). I was able to reproduce the issue on another computer even with simple "Hello world" application. The key thing is to try to launch built application from another drive (even external USB drive) from path which contains non-ascii characters. With only ascii characters everything works fine."

https://github.com/pyinstaller/pyinstaller/issues/1224
Freehunter

Postby Freehunter » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:04 pm

This is making my head hurt. But someplace while doing this saw FAT32 mentioned and it has been bugging me.

C:\TéléTélé works, when it is on the local harddrive.

E:\TéléTélé did not work, when it is on a flashdrive.

flashdrive = FAT32 ?????

Put MakeHuman on an external USB harddrive.

E:\TéléTélé works, it is on an external harddrive.

external harddrive = NTFS !!!!!!

local hardrive= NTFS !!!!!

Maybe this just muddies up the whole situation but might be something to be aware of.

Sorry for bringing it up. I'll just go watch animes now.
Freehunter

Postby joepal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:39 pm

Ouch, I didn't even consider that it might come down to file system.

However, that too is pretty far outside of what MH can ever compensate for.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby RobBaer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:12 pm

OK, I tried the build on a Windows 10 machine at work, still using a cut and paste technique to create the path: c:/MHPre-åäöüñé and D:/MHPre-åäöüñé on a USB drive. Unlike my home machine, both allowed MH to start just fine. I'm not sure what subtle differences in environment may be of importance (Python locations, system paths, python paths, QT and python versions etc.)

Despite starting fine, I also took a moment to look at the Makehuman.log file. There are some patterns in how the log file records things, and a debug_dump error that suggests at least a little more MH refactoring may need to be considered.

I decided the detail was best put on the bug tracker. For cross-reference: http://bugtracker.makehumancommunity.org/issues/1111

EDIT: I've added additional updates to the bug report on bug traker.
RobBaer

Postby RobBaer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:18 am

Freehunter wrote:Wondering what would happen if you moved / copied your folder E:\MHPreåäöüñé to C:\MHPreåäöüñé

Indeed, when I copied the folder to C: on my home computer it started up. Still fails when started from E:drive with the dialog in my previous post.

The makehuman.log file shows essentially the equivalent of what I reported in the bug report on the bug tracker (with different versions of reporting the path).
RobBaer

PreviousNext

Return to News from the crew