Syncing other objects with MH over the socket

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Syncing other objects with MH over the socket

Postby blindsaypatten » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:43 pm

I extended the socket plugin a little so that you can request the vertex positions of objects other than the body mesh, such as clothes and eyes and such. I also extended the MH Community blender plugin so that you can select an MH-related object and then press the Sync Object button and the geometry will be updated from MakeHuman.

The thing I like about this is that you can use Blender as a render window, giving a quality render with unlimited control over the view, lighting, background, etc..

At some point I will probably create another button that tries to update all the objects in the scene with one button push. And perhaps I will create another button that basically exports the toon over the socket and imports it on the Blender side, so you can transfer a toon with one button push in Blender. Which would be useful if you change clothes etc., as right now you can only update objects that are in the scene.

Notes:
  • The body mesh is called "Base" in MH and gets named "Body" when exported and imported into Blender, if you rename it in Blender then the Sync Object button will also work on the body mesh.
  • Uncheck the "Hide faces under clothes" option as it changes the number of vertices in the mesh, ruining everything
  • Better not to use the "Feet on ground" option on export (?)
  • New clothes etc. added in MH won't get reflected in Blender without another export/import cycle
  • Only the geometry is synced, materials and other settings are not affected
Attachments
MH_Community.zip
(463.61 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
8_server_socket_plus.zip
(6.31 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
blindsaypatten

Re: Syncing other objects with MH over the socket

Postby joepal » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:30 am

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

... perhaps I will create another button that basically exports the toon over the socket and imports it on the Blender side, so you can transfer a toon with one button push in Blender...

This is basically what I've been working on the last few days, see https://github.com/makehumancommunity/m ... /issues/30

MHAPI and socket now have support for binary transfers. Previously, the serialization/deserialization of the data made things prohibitively slow.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)