doodles and experiments

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

doodles and experiments

Postby jujube » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:11 am

I guess I'll make a thread too.

This is from a week or two ago - I loaded one of the CMU database mocap files in makewalk, and then in the graph editor I scaled it up on the x-axis, causing it to be interpolated between the keyframes, so that it could properly interact with simulations. I tested it with a white sheet placed in front of the character. It's oddly hypnotic.

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if I scaled it on the Y-axis...
(...I tried it just now, and it seems doing that makes the character walk sideways in mid-air.)
Attachments
0335.png
that feeling when you're walking into a polygonal bedsheet that magically appeared in front of you
0001-0421.avi
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 735 times
jujube

Re: doodles and experiments

Postby blindsaypatten » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:38 am

:D
blindsaypatten

Postby Mindfront » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:51 am

jujube wrote: It's oddly hypnotic.

I agree :geek: :D
Mindfront

Postby jujube » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Yesterday I played around with rendering a human in renderman, but blender kept crashing!! I want to be able to change the color of random accessories to something other than white without blender crashing!
(After I gave up and went to bed yesterday, I realized it may be that blender is running out of memory. If I can fully and confidently manage renderman, I can finally feel confident in finishing my tutorial on it.)
jujube

Postby jujube » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:49 pm

A couple days ago, I got sick of renderman for blender crashing, and so I played around with it in maya. It's more trouble than just using cycles, but I can't resist glitter and rainbows... the floor in the second render is literally rainbow glitter. (its ubershader shader comes with iridescence, cycles' principled shader does not.) It's not makehuman but it's still a fun doodle anyway.
pearly ball of wonders.PNG
I think maya has built-in denoising too, as this is suspiciously smooth.

glitter.PNG

Also, I guess I'll upload these too. I also played with the landscape generator in a recent pre-release of blender 2.79.
Attachments
gulley5.PNG
gulley7.PNG
Last edited by jujube on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jujube

Postby jujube » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:01 pm

I feel like putting these in a separate post, these renderman renders which are also from a few days ago/last week(?). I wasn't satisfied with these being incomplete, but since I posted my cycles/prman comparison renders in another thread, I guess I'll post these too.
These use greg zaal's cave wall hdri, lindsay's asian targets, my custom targets, I think harvey's neck definition target, and clothing assets I haven't uploaded. And knit texture displacement map from here http://sockgardener.tumblr.com/post/19244710989
I applied the pixar hair shader to the polygon hair I made, as a placeholder, while I then combed particle hair over top of it.

The tie lost its color in the second pic because having random objects be visible would crash blender, and then sometimes making a new blank material would fix it, but then changing the color from default white to anything else would break it. Like with the third pic, why the tongue is white. Changing the diffuse color to pink crashed it. Which was a huge disappointment, because the shadows in renderman are lovely. That kind of indirect/complex/narrow(?) lighting in the mouth is the kind of thing cycles currently struggles with.
And with creepy expression just because I can, and I felt like it.

I don't know if everyone is going to be amazed by these, or wonder why I spammed my own thread with all this weird stuff.
Attachments
twinkling eyes.PNG
good.PNG
its creeplarious.PNG
jujube

Postby grinsegold » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:00 am

Congratulations on your versatility. Is there anything you don't dare doing? Westward, Livingston! :)
grinsegold

Postby jujube » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:57 am

Thanks, grinsegold! :)

This week's experiment: back to the cloth sim, this time for something more practical: a person getting out of bed.

Source for the animation: subject 139 -> trial 18 of the cmu database, "motionbuilder-friendly" conversion (https://sites.google.com/a/cgspeed.com/ ... conversion)
The motionbuilder version seems to work the best. The animations are still kind of weird, though. But I think with tinkering, at one point I got the spreading of the legs when standing to be less extreme, but then I started over and couldn't replicate it. Also in the cmu database files, when standing the feet are tilted weirdly/the body is tilted forward, giving the impression the character is standing on an uphill slope. No idea why... and it seems you have to use mhx2 for the cmu files, or else the animations will turn out really freaky.
(It doesn't seem to matter whether you export using the default or cmu mb skeleton. Or maybe it did, and one or the other turned out a little better on the right setting?)

0055.png
Attachments
0001-0300.mp4
(2.97 MiB) Downloaded 689 times
jujube

Postby jujube » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:37 am

Did a quick render.

Wait, since I'm working on a high-resulotion monitor, this is actually pretty big...
Attachments
bed.PNG
jujube

Postby blindsaypatten » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:25 am

Have you tried using more steps per frame while the blanket is falling? In your render it looks like the feet poke through a bit, and in the video some of the floor pokes through. Once the cloth penetrates an object it gets anchored there, and then subsequently it gets ripped apart because the penetration points get moved too far from each other. I'm guessing that there are other penetration points, and that the right hand penetrates the left thigh, causing the cloth to also penetrate the body.

Which CMU file is it?

Anyway, you come up with some pretty cool stuff!
blindsaypatten

Next

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)