Documentation for Unity

Works in progress and technical screen shots.

Moderator: joepal

Documentation for Unity

Postby joepal » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:13 am

I've written some docs on how to get Unity to play nice with Makehuman: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... them_there

Please suggest improvements if you have experience of Unity.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Documentation for Unity

Postby jorgeo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:51 pm

With Unity 5, Legacy the standard shader should replace legacy ones.

"legacy shaders" -> "transparent" -> "diffuse".

I am now using -> "Standard (Specular setup)" -> Rendering Mode: "Fade / Transparent" -> Specular: Black color -> Smoothness: 0.1 or below

If the piece has a normalmap too, "legacy shaders" -> "transparent" -> "bumped diffuse"

This is almost the same as above, except that you add the normal image and assign a value (1 by default).
jorgeo

Postby joepal » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:53 am

Thanks.

I'll take a look at this later. But if you want to update these things, the wiki is possible to edit by any forum user. Just use your forum account to log in on the wiki and edit the piece you think could be improved.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby thedude22 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:34 pm

I know this isn't a makehuman question, but I'm not getting much help from unity answers so I'll ask here. Does anyone know how to animate the eyes of a makehuman model in unity? I tried dragging around the Euler angles of the eyes in the inspector but they don't move. The numbers in the boxes change, but the eyes don't. Any ideas why? I'd like to have something like procedural eye targeting so a character will, for example, look at something interesting in the game. I'm looking at the MHX rig in the blender tools mhx2 import plugin, as it's the only automatic rig option that has a gaze widget but it seems like mecanim only cares about the bones and ignores the widgets. So I can't rotate the eyes directly, and I can't access the gaze widget. Just wondering if anyone has had any success with this.
thedude22

Postby Aranuvir » Fri May 12, 2017 1:37 pm

Can't help here really. Maybe the unity rig (http://www.makehumancommunity.org/conte ... y_rig.html) suits your needs.
Aranuvir

Postby thedude22 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:05 pm

I saw that and I downloaded and installed it, but I have no idea how to use it. I didn't see any extra rig options inside makehuman. Anyway the standard game rig works fine with unity, although I might have had to remap the fingers. I'll just use that I guess. I was going to do my animations in blender but I think for a game I should do it in unity if I want to do things like blend animations and use masks and so on.
thedude22

Postby blindsaypatten » Mon May 15, 2017 12:51 pm

As far as I know the only thing you can do within MH with a rig is select that rig to be included in the export, so go to the Pose/Animate tab and then the Skeleton tab and select the Unity rig, and then export the character. Presumably the Unity rig is set up to work nicely within Unity. I'm just guessing though.
blindsaypatten

Postby thedude22 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Well it's been a long time but I found the answer to my question. I figure I should post it in case someone else is confused.

The reason I could not rotate the eyes of my makehuman model is because I was trying to modify the eye object's transform directly. This doesn't work because the eye object has a skinned mesh renderer component. In order to move it you have to move the associated bone in the rig, not the mesh object.

The unity rig has bones for the eyes and eyelid that work well. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to install with the asset downloader plugin so I had to put the files manually in the proper folder.
thedude22

Return to WIP (Work In Progress)