MH -> Blender -> Unity Eyes and eyebrow problem

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

MH -> Blender -> Unity Eyes and eyebrow problem

Postby Xipooo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:54 am

Here is my process.

1) Create an MH character and export to Blender.
2) Import character into blender.
3) Fashion some low poly clothes including just the basics, boots, pants, and shirt.
4) Add automatic weights to all the clothing and fix some of the weighting with weight paint. Posing looks great.
5) Delete the MH verteses that are under the clothing since they are no longer needed to reduce poly count.
6) Go to the materials of the properties page and select "Save this datablock even if it has no users" for each of the materials. (Not even sure if this is necessary, but I saw it in a tutorial once.)
7) Select my player mesh, and all clothing, then export the selected items to FBX file.
8) Add the FBX file as an asset and move the MH textures into a texture folder of unity.
9) Map the MH texture file to all of the necessary shader properties of the character.

Everything so far as I know should be correct. But I get this as a result.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Why no eyebrows or eyes?
Xipooo

Re: MH -> Blender -> Unity Eyes and eyebrow problem

Postby ThomasL » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:59 am

The brows, lashes and cornea cause problems in a lot of rendering engines. If you use the obj or collada format, export with Eyebrows and Eyelashes unchecked. You need to import the clothed version of the character. If the characters name if foo, it is the file ~/makehuman/exports/foo/foo_clothed.obj. Or delete brows, lashes and cornea manually.
ThomasL

Postby Xipooo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:35 pm

It's somewhere in the export from Blender to Unity3D. Everything renders fine in Blender. It's when I try to save it as either an FBX or OBJ file that the textures don't seem to map right to the character in Unity3D. I have to pull the png file from the Make Human folder because blender doesn't export any textures for you. But when I map the texture file to the character the skin works, eyes, and brows don't. I feels like I'm missing something in the process here and that it's not a technical issue.
Xipooo

Postby Xipooo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:53 pm

AHA!!!! I found the problem. It's essentially what you were talking about.

Unity3D made the eyes, brows, and mouth a separate material. All I did was changed them from diffused to transparent diffused and that made the material transparent. The underlying skin now shows.

This isn't ideal but it does mean I should be able to remove those materials from the blender file to get the extraction I want.
Xipooo

Postby Maia1003 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:54 pm

ThomasL wrote:The brows, lashes and cornea cause problems in a lot of rendering engines. If you use the obj or collada format, export with Eyebrows and Eyelashes unchecked. You need to import the clothed version of the character. If the characters name if foo, it is the file ~/makehuman/exports/foo/foo_clothed.obj. Or delete brows, lashes and cornea manually.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem, but my pipeline is different:
1) import Makehuman model as .mhx file into Blender
2) from Blender, export model to OSG (OpenScenegraph)

With the OSG exporter, I need to change texture.tif to texture.png otherwise I don't get any texture. By changing to .tif to png, everything is rendered in Blender , but when I export to OSG, eyebrows and eyelashes are becoming black.
I would prefer to export to .osg instead of .obj since a plug-in exists for Blender to OSG including animation, texture, etc.

Thanks,
Maia
Maia1003

Postby Maia1003 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Xipooo wrote:AHA!!!! I found the problem. It's essentially what you were talking about.

Unity3D made the eyes, brows, and mouth a separate material. All I did was changed them from diffused to transparent diffused and that made the material transparent. The underlying skin now shows.

This isn't ideal but it does mean I should be able to remove those materials from the blender file to get the extraction I want.

Hi Xipooo,

Did you do these changes in Unity3D ? I have the same problem as yours but I don't use Unity3D, but OpenSceneGraph.

Cheers,

Maia
Maia1003

Postby jmatthews » Sat May 25, 2013 6:49 pm

In Unity, I choose the cut-out diffuse shader and it rendereed flawlessly.
jmatthews

Postby eweeparker » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:01 am

Xipoo is totally correct. I also went ahead and chose the same skin(caucasian) in the case of the default setting. Set this skin for the "caucasion-male-young"(in my model's case), the brows, mouth, and eye. Make the eyes and brows transparent->diffuse and you'll see them. Pretty good stuff. I'm not sure how the facial controls will work, or how to get the clothes looking good yet, but that is a work in progress. I really am gonna make a video going from Makehuman -> Blender(add hair, modify skin, animation, ect.) -> Unity. Probably a series. I have been so frustrated this week that I'm gonna give something back to save people a lot of trouble.
eweeparker

Postby eweeparker » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:41 am

eweeparker wrote:Xipoo is totally correct. I also went ahead and chose the same skin(caucasian) in the case of the default setting. Set this skin for the "caucasion-male-young"(in my model's case), the brows, mouth, and eye. Make the eyes and brows transparent->diffuse and you'll see them. Pretty good stuff. I'm not sure how the facial controls will work, or how to get the clothes looking good yet, but that is a work in progress. I really am gonna make a video going from Makehuman -> Blender(add hair, modify skin, animation, ect.) -> Unity. Probably a series. I have been so frustrated this week that I'm gonna give something back to save people a lot of trouble.

UPDATE: Didn't read the part about cutout -> diffuse. Works better :)
eweeparker

Postby Ron-Cole » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:15 pm

I had the same problem with the eyes showing up black. I'm new to CG animation and so I was really feeling lost! None of the answers posted here worked for me but, I found a work-around.

I'm exporting a Collada (dae) character into Blender3D and the first option I used for the eyes were the high-poly version. I tried checking every setting and compared the settings to all the other materials and all the settings were the the same but the eyes remained black glossy spheres. :x

Long story short, I eventually tried opting for the low-poly eyes and those show up! The problem of course is that the irises look like hexagonal shapes. I tried increasing the number of faces in edit mode but when I switch back to object mode, the number of faces is still the original number. I have no clue why that is but, I'm sure I'll figure something out to improve that situation.

I'm very new to this stuff because I'm a traditional stop motion animator (with real puppets and a real camera) professionally and I'm very 'old school'. I was really pleased to find MAKE HUMAN because building a CG character from scratch is mind numbing for a noob like me when all I really want to do is get some practice animating. I built a character from scratch following tutorials by ZScorpionC on Youtube (she's Great!) but I made a mess out of my first skin with way too many faces that were all triangles because I sculpted it with Sculptris. Ugh!

So Thank You very much for making MAKE HUMAN, It's made learning this stuff much more enjoyable by allowing someone like me to just get in some animation practice with a decent character right out of the box. :D
Ron-Cole

Next

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman