Is this caused by MHX2 or MH?

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Is this caused by MHX2 or MH?

Postby duststorm » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:52 pm

ThomasL wrote:This is surely a problem with the proxy

Is this a proxy that is in the MakeHuman distribution?
Because if it is, then surely this is something we have overlooked.

You can help improving MH by making an issue for it in the bugtracker (you can log in with your forum account).
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby Aranuvir » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi Thomas,

I guess you're referring to this tutorial: http://web.archive.org/web/201504070018 ... roups.html
Aranuvir

Postby Fred Astair » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:46 pm

ThomasL wrote:This is surely a problem with the proxy; some proxy verts in the upper lip are assigned to human faces in the lower lip and vice versa. In fact, this kind of problem was the original reason why I introduced vertex groups in MakeClothes. Proxy verts are associated with nearby human faces, but since the lips intersect it is very difficult to distinguish between them automatically. There are similar problems with other parts of the body that intersect and have to move differently, e.g. the eyes vs the eyelids.

The solution is to introduce many vertex groups in MakeClothes to distinguish between different body parts. Last time I made a proxy mesh (a long time ago), I used six different vertex groups for the lips: uplip_L, uplip_R, uplip_M, lolip_L, lolip_R and lolip_M, for left, right, and middle. A group whose name ends with _M is treated specially, like the default Mid group: A vertex originally in the x=0 plane is forced to stay there.

Once I wrote a tutorial on how to use vertex groups in such situation, but I cannot find it now. It was written for an outdated version of MC, but the basic principles remain the same.

So unfortunately it is not so easy to fix this problem. You need the original object file for the clothing, and then you must rerun MakeClothes with a better vertex group assignment.

I'm still not sure if this is a MH issue or a MHX2 issue, but I've narrowed it down. I was importing the models with the "merge body parts" checked off. When I just now tried importing the models with it unchecked everything is fine. I still can't open the mouth manually using the mouth bone ( that crescent moon shaped bone) because although it will move side to side, it will not rotate open from the side view like it used to. I have to open the mouth using visemes or expressions such as "effort".
Attachments
Fixed when merge body parts is not on....jpg
Fred Astair

Postby brkurt » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:56 pm

I downloaded the latest version of both MH and MHX2, and couldn't get it to act up. I don't see any shape keys, just buttons for them. From my perspective, it looks like everything is being done with poses, correct me if I am wrong.

brkurt

Postby Fred Astair » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:02 pm

brkurt wrote:I downloaded the latest version of both MH and MHX2, and couldn't get it to act up. I don't see any shape keys, just buttons for them. From my perspective, it looks like everything is being done with poses, correct me if I am wrong.

Try turning on "merge body parts".
Fred Astair

Postby Fred Astair » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:13 pm

joepal wrote:This never happened to me, and I use basically the same setup, although I didn't try visemes specifically.

I export the following:

* proxy = adult female
* skeleton = default no toes ( <-- this is probably important )
* unit = meter
* MHX2
* expressions

I import the following (OTOH, I don't remember the exact wording) :

* MHX2
* Override presets
* Rig = exported mhx ( <-- this is probably important )

I export exactly the same way.
I import the same except that I check off "merge body parts" and Subdivision 2.

It seems to be fine when I don't check off "merge body parts", so I'm thinking it might be an issue with MHX2, although if MH is exporting doubled up vertices in the first place, then it isn't really the fault of MHX2.
Fred Astair

Postby Fred Astair » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:16 pm

duststorm wrote:

Is this a proxy that is in the MakeHuman distribution?
Because if it is, then surely this is something we have overlooked.

You can help improving MH by making an issue for it in the bugtracker (you can log in with your forum account).

Yes, this is the female proxy in MH and the no toes skeleton. It appears to only happen when I choose "merge body parts" in MHX2, but I'm wondering if that is caused by doubled up vertices in MH in the first place? I have no way to know if that is true, so I'm not sure if I should be creating an issue for it in bugtracker.
Fred Astair

Postby Fred Astair » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:05 pm

I just tried loading the base only and it also distorts when I choose "merge body parts"...
Fred Astair

Postby Fred Astair » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:28 pm

This is the base model from the MH stable version 1.0.2.
There is nothing changed from the default start up model except that I added the basic.json rig so that the mouth could be opened using expressions. No clothes to be considered or other proxy stuff like hair or eyebrows etc... Just the basic start model.

Merge body parts is on in MHX2 when I'm importing the model. The distortion is present whether I import the model as Base or as Proxy.

So, I'm guessing that this is a MHX2 issue? Is there a way/need to move this topic over the the MHX2 forum?
Attachments
Mh Ver 1.0.2 test dummy.jpg
Fred Astair

Postby joepal » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Fred Astair wrote:Is there a way/need to move this topic over the the MHX2 forum?

I'm sure there is, but for my life I can't find it right now. I guess this might have something to do with the beer I had. I'll check again tomorrow and see if the function has magically reappeared.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

PreviousNext

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman