Export MHX "hide faces under clothes" exports full geometry

Discussions about MHX2 and other plugins that are developed outside the scope of MakeHuman. Note that bug reports should go to the respective code projects and might go unseen here.

Moderator: joepal

Export MHX "hide faces under clothes" exports full geometry

Postby zobbo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:38 pm

Hi,

I'm seeing an issue exporting MHX to Blender. It exports the full body geometry regardless of whether I have "hide faces under clothes" enabled. Is this supported for MHX? I may be doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what since there's only one option. I'm using the basic game rig also, if that makes any difference.
It would solve a weighting issue I'm having with the shoes/feet (foot geometry is going through shoe material) if the geometry wasn't there in the first place. But it seems not to work. Is anyone else seeing this?
zobbo

Re: Export MHX "hide faces under clothes" exports full geome

Postby duststorm » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:21 pm

MHX does things differently, which is why we decided to have it as external plugin.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby zobbo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:37 pm

Hi duststorm,

Does that mean hide faces under clothes isn't supported in the mhx format? What can I do to get around that? Currently I export to MHX in makehuman and then import using the blendertools import plugin.

Cheers,
Zobbo
zobbo

Postby ThomasL » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:52 am

MHX implements face hiding by adding mask modifiers. If you really want to delete the hidden verts, with no chance of recovery, just apply all mask modifiers in the modifier stack for all meshes.

If you use MHX2, there is an import option that lets you choose what to do with masked verts:
Ignore: Just keep the verts.
Apply: Delete the verts.
Mask: Add mask modifiers for non-destructive hiding.
ThomasL

Postby zobbo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:03 pm

ThomasL wrote:MHX implements face hiding by adding mask modifiers. If you really want to delete the hidden verts, with no chance of recovery, just apply all mask modifiers in the modifier stack for all meshes.

If you use MHX2, there is an import option that lets you choose what to do with masked verts:

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for that, it helped a lot. I think that's the problem then, I can't export modifiers from blender to my 3D engine format because of a bug with applying modifiers. So I have to apply visual transform beofre I export.

Cheers,
Zobbo
zobbo

Postby ThomasL » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:27 am

Actually, I think you need to go over the meshes and apply the Mask modifiers for each. Not a whole lot of work, but with MHX2 you can save that work by selecting the Apply option at import.
ThomasL

Postby Shaba1 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 pm

ThomasL wrote:MHX implements face hiding by adding mask modifiers. If you really want to delete the hidden verts, with no chance of recovery, just apply all mask modifiers in the modifier stack for all meshes.

Tnis is a very good explanation of what these buttons acutally do. Their function is not very apparent from the tooltips in the MHX2 pop out in blender and the import into blender page from you does not make it very apperent what they do either. Consider putting this very explanation on the webpage the explains the mhx import options.
Shaba1

Postby RobBaer » Wed May 23, 2018 9:39 pm

ThomasL may not visit this forum much anymore.

A more effective place to share such a comment would be on his Bitbucket site:
https://bitbucket.org/Diffeomorphic/mhx ... tatus=open
RobBaer

Postby loki1950 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:31 pm

Or his Wordpress blog https://thomasmakehuman.wordpress.com/ where he has placed his docs for mhx2 and makewalk.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby Shaba1 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:13 pm

loki1950 wrote:Or his Wordpress blog https://thomasmakehuman.wordpress.com/ where he has placed his docs for mhx2 and makewalk.

Enjoy the Choice :)

loki1950:
Thomas has not updated that page since 2015!!!!.

I had already looked at every page that was in English on that site. In fact that was what I was referring to when I mentioned the import into blender page.

https://thomasmakehuman.wordpress.com/m ... o-blender/
Shaba1

Return to MHX2 and other plugins developed outside MakeHuman